Oblivious As Always

Haley was wracked with guilt from her outburst as soon as she reached the bottom of the tree and made it out of earshot, and so, her tensed shoulders slacked in shame. After two years of keeping quiet, staying in her place, and keeping her head down, Haley had exploded, and she was appalled by her brain's decision to do it in these trying times, and just like the others back in Caesar's home, she knew it was unlike her, just like she was sure her reasons were unclear. Apparently, in exhaustion, Haley gains enough strength to speak out, but her filter fails under her lack of sleep. Groaning at her own logic, she messaged her aching temples. Or maybe, she thought, she was just frustrated and on a short fuse, her recollection of Carver having reminded her about the fact that Koba was still avoiding and ignoring her. Whatever her reason, she could only hope that Caesar understood, even if he didn't know about the mud her relationship was slowly sinking into.

Thumping footsteps interrupted her deep contemplation and unwittingly allowed her tired body to gain some strength in the midst of friendly acknowledgment when she realized it could be no one except her friend, Luca, but then, as soon as the recollection of her insolence drew her attention again, her joy faltered and she sighed with indignation – she still didn't see how she did anything wrong, though. "On a scale of one to ten, exactly how mad is he?" She signed besides her with stiff and unsure movements, announcing her knowledge of Luca's arrival without glancing behind her, even if it was obvious with his heavy weight and hulking physique, given that they reveal his presence anywhere – she could even hear the wood shifting and creaking beneath him. He was more than twice her size, she knew, especially since she was smaller than the normal human, even with her bigger-than-average muscles, but whenever he loomed over her or caused the floor to protest, it succeeded in reminded her. She peeked over her shoulder for his answer, but only to scoff in disbelief when he answered, "Zero – Caesar worried."

"Of course he is." She tossed with her hands before she continued down from the tree and dropped onto the cliff in front of Maurice's school, gazing down at the stone platform ahead in the center of the village to study the carving in it. Like so few in the village, Haley knew the true origins of the styled diamond in the perfect circle, having seen Caesar through that same shape the first time she saw him, and more times than she cared to admit, it helped her to stare at it and remember her innocent years. "He never stops worrying; he did the same thing when we were young, always looking out for me like I'm a child – or worse, a fragile human child." Haley continued venting to Luca, who had followed her with each step, knowing she'd want to talk more, and watched him sit down beside her before she went on, "It's infuriating, but that's not why I spoke out – at least, I don't think." Her hands moved more brisk and annoyed, "I just don't want to face that man again! He's intolerable!" She could feel it rising in her again: the frustration, the rage... the sense of unimportance in the colony.

Luca grunted in agreement – unlike with the two humans who came back to the village earlier, he wasn't too fond of the violent human male. Mostly, however, it was because of the insults Carver had thrown at Haley. Luca may not have been the happiest ape in the troop about her relationship with Koba, but he knew Carver was out of line. In fact, Luca had more reason than most to hate the announcement Haley and Koba had made about their mating. Though a Gorilla's hearing is close to that of a chimp, even more so to a human's, their sense of smell is significantly stronger, and so, the two's intermingled scents felt like bile in the back of Luca's throat, but still he said nothing.

Yet, he forced his mind away from that and onto his strange inkling instead.

"Scared what Koba will do if Carver insults him more?" He guessed, and when he saw Haley stiffen, he knew he was right, "Always looks scared and careful around Koba, even with smile." It had been an observation he made a long time ago, and despite his silence over the matter, it terrified him for Haley's sake.