20) the twentieth chapter idk

joshua feels it deep in his chest, a pang of hurt right where his heart is beating.

he's sad.

oddly enough, he misses the elementary-level conversation, the flush of the youngers cheeks, the timid behavior that just can't be explained yet.

he misses it all.

he misses tyler.

he wants to reach out and talk to the man but just how does he do that? he doesn't want to pretend that the blunt rejection doesn't hurt, because it does. he doesn't want to seem like he doesn't care, because he does.

he's been doing things to take his mind off of it, like right now, he is currently sipping at his slushy whilst browsing the aisles of the small corner store.

he takes a long sip of the cold beverage, "superman slushie," he sighs to himself, whistling lowly, "pour some sugar on me, baby-"

his admiration toward the artificial flavouring is interrupted by a thwack to the back of his head.

he chokes a little, turning to see a fuming debby.

the red-faced woman had just hit him with her purse.

josh turns his head, blinking rapidly, "uh- excuse me-" he starts.

"don't," debby barks.

josh scoffs, "what did i do to deserve this attitude?"

debby mocks his scoff, "what did you do? what did you do? i'll tell you what you did, you broke my best friend!" she yells, jumping on josh's back, leading to him dropping his slushy.

"hey!" he whines, but nonetheless supports the woman by holding her thighs up so she doesn't fall.

"what do you mean, i broke your best friend?"

debby hops down from his back and stomps her feet, grabbing josh by chin and pulling him in close,

"what part of don't ask questions, don't you understand!?" she yells in his ear.

josh winces, rubbing his ear as if to soothe his eardrums from the abuse it's receiving, "okay, well, i didn't even send that text!" he defends himself.

the fire in debby's eyes doesn't die down even the slightest. "okay, well, give me the address of the person who did send that text, so i can kill them!"

josh rolls his eyes, looking at some beef jerky as he mumbles, uninterested, "mhm, okay, and what tragic event happened to make you consider homicide?"

debby just got more angry at his faux nonchalance, "because of your nincompoop friend, tyler had the biggest panic attack of his life, and set us back months of progress!"

josh's i-don't-give-a-fuck attitude falls, his mask cracks, as he frowns and his eyes light up in immediate worry for the boy he likes,

"what? what happened?"

debby's eyes drop the fierce glare they were holding, and she sighs, "he really does want to go out with you, but his brain had a little trouble deciding how to say that, so he panicked and just said no-- it was the easiest response,"

josh can't help the way he rolls his eyes, "what the fuck kind of excuse is that?"

debby grits her teeth, but before she can respond, josh adds, "he's completely normal, but you treat him like he's oh, so fragile! why can't i ask the guy some questions, do you know how hard it is to go on a date and not ask any questions?"

debby groans, "listen to me! you've been doing so frickin' great so far! you like tyler, and tyler likes you, so please, just be patient," she begs.

"this is the problem; tyler always find these great guys, but the second that things get too frustrating or confusing, they leave. i'm sure you're hiding something, too, so it's only fair that you wait until tyler is ready to tell you,"

josh bites his lip, knowing that she's right. he scratches his elbow absentmindedly.

"okay," he sighs, "i'm trusting you on this one,"

debby grins, "mother knows best," she tsk's.

josh rolls his eyes in a good matter, before pointing to the melted mess on the floor,

"you owe me another slushy," he pouts.

she purses her lips, clicking her tongue, "i don't know, you're getting kinda chubby, is sugar really going to help?" she teases, poking his stomach.

josh gapes, pretending to be offended, "excuse me-"

debby stops his dialogue before he gets carried away, and gives him a few dollars, "go, child," she shoo's.

josh grins, kissing the money, before going to get another slushy.

debby looks at the mess on the floor, before shrugging and picking up the empty cup, going to the machine and filling it up for herself.

josh looks at her in disgust as she reuses the cup that was just on the floor, to which she shrugs him off,

"i'm on a budget,"

josh just laughs, and debby sips her lemon slushy in tranquillity-- she just saved herself $2.75.

why did the gay man get fired from his job at the sperm bank?

drinking on the job.