05 - red room

1 2 : 2 1  A M

     Just breathe, Sydney.

     That was all I kept telling myself as Wyatt drove us farther away. We couldn't hear the sirens anymore, but that was a far cry from the real reason why I was freaking out.

     Dreams couldn't be real. They couldn't come true.

     (Can they?)

    "So," Wyatt cleared his throat. "Now that we barely escaped, where to next?"

     I blinked, coming back to reality. My phone should turn on any minute, but in the mean time, I was stuck in this car until God knows when. Time to get my bearings straight, then.

     Starting with the boy next to me.

     Fuck. He was right there. How was he not internally hyperventilating right now? Knowing that If I reached out just slightly, I would be touching him. And whenever he'd turn my way to check the mirror...

    "Sydney?" Wyatt glanced worriedly over me before going back to the road. "You okay? What's wrong?"

    "I — " The words halted in my throat. "What's his name?" I blurted out, pointing to the guy in the back who was currently passed out.

     He stared at me a little longer. "I don't know. Chris, a little help here?"

     Chris shook the guy roughly. "Yo, budddy, what's your name?"

     He muttered gibberish. Chris tried again.

    "Check his wallet or something," I insisted, biting my fingers. Come on, there's gotta be a name somewhere!

     The curly blond raised his eyebrows. "Persistent." Nevertheless, he rummaged through the guy's jacket and pants for some kind of identification, all as I turned around and anxiously watched. I didn't miss the way Wyatt kept glancing at me more often than he should.

    "Aha! Found it." Chris whipped it open. "Landon. His name's Landon."

     I let out a deep breath I didn't know I was holding.

     I knew my logic sounded batshit crazy, but I was desperate. Now that I knew everyone's names—Wyatt, Chris and Landon—none of them were considered strangers anymore, right? And with that being said, it automatically ruled out Chris and Landon being Prince Charming One and Two. I couldn't do anything about Wyatt—the dream made sure of that, as Dream Sydney had known his identity already—but the least I could do was to prevent anything else from becoming a reality.

     (Oh, who was I kidding.)

     I sounded like a madwoman.

     My phone screen turned on.

    "Praise Jesus," I let out, grabbing it and quickly scrolling through my contacts. I clicked Jess's number.

     Hello, you have reached the number of Jess Harden. You are either here for one of two reasons: one, you're one of my best friends, and in that case this means I'm basically A-wall. Two, you're one of many guys that want me as your booty call. Well guess what motherfuc

     Over and over again, the voicemail played.

    "You've got to be kidding me."