7

„So, what now? You're on vacation again?" Chloe almost yelled when she entered his penthouse, partly because she wanted to be heard and partly because she was angry with him again. „You didn't show up for dinner yesterday, either. So, you have no excuse unless you're dead, which I doubt-"

She stopped talking as she realized nobody was listening to her. Lucifer didn't even notice her come in. He was talking on the phone. Chloe suspected that it wasn't Lucifer's moody behaviour that made him not get to work again.

Some serious matter was in hand, she could feel it in her guts.

„No!" he roared, completely furious. „How did he know that she's here?"

There were a few moments of silence as Lucifer got his answer from the other end. Then, he hung up and threw his phone on the table. For a moment, his eyes flashed red and in a fit of pure rage, he punched the nearest wall. His fist went straight through it, leaving a gaping hole. Chloe shuddered, trying to remember if she'd ever seen him in this state before.

She has. But, it was a long time ago.

„This is all my fault.", he muttered, taking his hand out of the wall.

He closed his eyes in frustration, both of his fists and jaw clenching.

„What's your fault?" she asked carefully, taking a step towards him, but still leaving enough space between them, just in case. At least until he calms down.

It was at that moment that Lucifer opened his eyes and saw Chloe, then realized that she's here. He glanced at the wall and then at her, his look softening a bit, but still looking cold and murderous, even.

„That's none of your business.", he snapped at her. „What are you doing here, detective?"

He was already moving towards the elevator.

„Lucifer...", she took him by his arm, making him stop. „What happened?"

He sighed heavily.

„I'll explain everything in the car."

„What?" she looked at him, confused, as he continued making his way to the exit. „Where are we going?"

Lucifer didn't reply anything. He was thinking, his mind already coming up with various plans. He had to find her and there's no doubt that he'll go to great lengths in order to do that. His vision was pretty damn clear. On the other hand, Chloe was absolutely baffled, but followed him nevertheless. They got into the car and he put his foot down, driving as fast as he could.

Chloe remained silent, waiting for Lucifer to speak.

„Belua was kidnapped.", he gripped the steering wheel tightly.

„What?" her eyes were wide. „Who took her?"

„My soon-to-be-tortured brother Nathaniel."

„Your brother?"

He exhaled, trying to calm himself down. He made a sharp turn and Chloe had to hold onto her seat, because she was mildly concerned about falling out of the car.

„You have to understand something, before we get to the cause of this."

„Okay.", she nodded, urging him to continue.

„Belua... She is a strange being. Unlike anything else in this universe, quite literally.", he tensed up as he spoke.

The blonde was stunned. Was he truly opening up to her? Is it possible that he's taking a chance and trusting her? She didn't want to say anything wrong and prevent him from talking, so she remained silent and waited for further explanation.