Chapter Twenty One

Twenty One

I told Liam everything that happened at Sophia’s that night.  He listened intently, eyes widening with surprise as my recollection of the night progressed.  When I finished, Liam sat back in the couch and said, “I guess you were really lucky with your timing,” he said.  “How’s Sophia doing?”

“Not very well.  She’s got bruises over almost every inch of her body, and deep cuts on her neck and arm.  It’s bad.  And that’s just the physical aspect of it.  I can barely walk past her without her flinching or wincing.”

Liam nodded.  “Well, that’s a little understandable.  It must be hard to trust a guy after being treated so horribly by one.  Maybe she just needs some time.”

I pictured the terrified look that was present in Sophia’s eyes the entire time I was with her.  “You’re right,”  I said.  “It’s just… I’ve never been so… infuriated in my entire life.  To see this girl that I care so much about, more than I care about myself.  This girl that deserves everything good in the world but she’s been given all the bad.  It’s just not fair at all.  It’s not fair and I want to make it all better. It’s so hard knowing that I’m not enough to be the person that turns it all around.”

Liam watched me with pained eyes.  “Don’t you give up, Niall.  Don’t you do that.  She needs you right now.  You need to be there for her.”  I sighed, running my fingers through my hair because I knew that Liam was right.  He always was.

I tried to stay in that week with the boys, playing video games and eating and everything, but I honestly couldn’t stop worrying about Sophia.  What was she doing?  Was she okay?  Is John there?  Was she alone?  Was she even at home?  Was she thinking of me?  I was missing her, but I really just wanted to know if she was alright.  

I was in the middle of thinking about her when I got a text from her, asking me if I could come over.  I got right up off the couch and grabbed my coat and keys.  The boys all looked up as I got my things together, and I said, “Do you guys mind if I head out?  I should check on Sophia…”

They all nodded and understood, and Zayn said, “Give her a hug for me!”  

“Yeah, me too,” Harry said as well.  

Liam held his hand up and said, “And me.”

“Give her a kiss on the cheek for me,”  Louis finished.

“Well would you look who’s choosing to be unique once again,” Harry teased.  Harry and Lou started arguing so I just decided to leave before I changed my mind to stay.  

When I arrived at Sophie’s flat, she opened up right when I knocked.  I didn’t even have time to say hi to her, because she grabbed my wrist, pulled me inside and slammed the door behind her before throwing her arms around my waist, squeezing me really tight.  I hugged her back tightly, just happy that she was alright to touch me again.  When she pulled away, I put my arms back around her and hugged her quickly.  “That’s from Zayn.”  I hugged her again.  “This one’s from Harry.”  I hugged her one more time.  “That’s Liam’s.”  She pulled away, smiling her smile, unmarred and beautiful.  I gave her a quick peck on the cheek.  “And that’s from Louis.”

Sophia thanked me and we sat down on the couch.  “How are you doing?”  I asked her.

“I’m okay,” she said.  I looked over her.  Her bruises were greenish yellow, they’d faded a lot since I last saw her.  She no longer wore a bandage over the stitches on her arm, but stitches still remained in her arm.  The cuts on her neck and arm were red and looked painful.