Chapter Four

Four

I woke up the next morning to the sound of rain.  I rubbed my eyes to wake myself up.  I checked my phone.  It was just past noon.  I had a text from Harry.  He and Louis went to visit to Harry’s family for the day, and Liam and Zayn went out shopping for groceries and were going out to eat later.  He also wanted to know if I was alright. 

I texted him back saying, “Yeah I just got a little pissed off last night.  I’m fine, I’ll see you lads later tonight.”  To be honest, I was still angry about what happened with John last night.  I hadn’t been so infuriated about anything in a long time.  I made a promise to myself that the next time I caught him, or any other guy for that matter, taking advantage of Sophie,  I wouldn’t hesitate to beat the shit out of them. 

I sat around for a bit until I decided that I was hungry.  I got up and went to the kitchen and began frying up some bacon and eggs.  After a few minutes of the smell spreading throughout the house, I heard light footsteps coming from down the hall.  Sophie stumbled out into the kitchen, rubbing her eyes. 

Just the sight of her made my mood do a complete 180.  I felt a smile spread across my face instantly.  “Good morning, sleepyhead.” 

She rolled her eyes and groaned.  She was so hungover.  The sight of her made me laugh.  She was wearing my sweatshirt and shorts still, however her hair was tangled, a disarray of curls surrounding her face.  She looked a mess, but she honestly still looked beautiful.  

“Don’t laugh,” she said, smiling groggily. “I’ve got massive headache.” She rubbed her temples, falling backwards onto the couch. 

I went to the bathroom and got some aspirin for her, and brought it out to her with a water bottle. “Here,” I said, handing it to her.  

She swallowed the aspirin, and said, “What the fuck happened last night?”

“Do you really not remember?” I asked, taking a bite of my breakfast. “Want some?” 

She shook her head no, to the food I guessed. “And no, I don’t remember much at all.  I think once someone starts reminding me, I’ll recall what happened,” she said, still laying on the couch. 

“Erm…” I spoke quickly, eager to get this over with and resume having a good time with her. “John came.  I think you invited him.  He pulled you away from our table and I saw him kissing you.  You pushed him away but he kept trying to, you know…” I looked up briefly to analyze her face.  She looked confused but also like she was beginning to remember.  “So I stepped in.  I didn’t hit him or anything, but I told him that  I would next time. And then, I just took you home.” 

Her expression was blank.  It scared me.  I stared at her in anticipation, my eyes begging for her to react.  “I’m sorry,” I said.

Sophie just nodded.  After a few minutes, she said slowly, “So he didn’t really do anything, right?  You stopped him?”

Shit.  She was going to forgive him for being a complete ass.  “You’re not going to forgive him are you?” I asked, suddenly angry. 

She gave me a frightened expression.  “We were drunk, Niall.  I appreciate you stepping in and taking care of things before they got too far, but I doubt he was even aware of what he was doing!” 

“For fuck’s sake, Sophie.  You have to be kidding me. Can you not see what a prick this guy is?  He doesn’t even care about your feelings!  You’re just an object to him!  Can’t you tell that the only thing he wants from you is your body?  How can you be so blind?”  I shouted.

“Right, Niall.  I’m blind.”  She attempted to say sarcastically, but her voice cracked.  “You know, at first I was thankful for you being there, but now I’m starting to wonder who the real prick is.”

Her face twisted in anger and upset, and I thought she might cry.  Sophia never cried, though. I felt a wave of regret and guilt rush over me.  I was ashamed of myself for yelling at her.  I softened my tone, reaching out my hand to try and sooth her.  She swatted my hand away like she had with John last night, and walked away, face in her hands to my room.  

She slammed the door.  I heard the lock click behind her.