Chapter Twelve

Twelve

By the middle of the next week, I was already feeling better.  It was just in time for a busy week, too.  On Wednesday, we had radio interview scheduled and live radio performance scheduled.  We had to do some work with our management to organize a small spring tour in the next few months the following days, too.  And the boys and I had already arranged to take Sophia out for her birthday on Friday night.  That gave me just enough time to hang out with the boys a bit and relax.  

I already had my present for Sophia figured out, and it was perfect.  I asked the boys what they thought, and they agreed that it wasn’t too much and that it would be great for me, too.  I was so ecstatic to give it to her, and now that I was feeling better, I couldn’t wait to see her this weekend. 

The radio performance went perfectly.  During the interview, when the radio host asked about our love lives, I casually said that I was single, as I always did.  Louis, being his silly self said, “Well, that’s not entirely true.  He’s got his eye on a special someone.” 

The interviewer asked me about her, to give a hint to the press and I simply said, “Em, she’s not famous, as most would expect.  She’s absolutely lovely, though.”  To that the boys laughed and mocked me, which I accepted.  I was honestly just hoping that Sophia hadn’t been listening to the radio that day. 

Luckily, she hadn’t been. 

______________________________________________________________________________

Finally, it was Friday afternoon.  I had woken up really late, around noon.  The boys and I had the whole weekend off, so today we were just lounging around before we were meeting up with Sophie tonight.  We relaxed and ate and joked, just like we always did.

Later in the day, I got a call from Sophia.  We chatted for a bit, and I asked her if she was excited for tonight, and she eagerly replied that she was.  Then she said, “Don’t get mad, though.  But… I invited John to come tonight.”

My heart sank in my chest.  “Of course that’s fine!  It’s your birthday, Sophia!  Invite whoever you like, I’ll make nice, I promise,” I said lied.  I was actually really annoyed, though.  Wherever John was, trouble followed.  I tried to perk up, and I promised myself not to ruin this for myself.  And for her.

“Okay.  I’m glad you’re okay with it.” I could tell that she was relieved.  “I have to tell you something later, too.  I’ll see you boys tonight!  Tell everyone I said hi!”  She hung up.

By six, I decided that it was probably a good idea to get a shower.  When I was all clean, I got dressed into a plaid shirt and tan jeans.  The boys were already dressed and ready to go.  Liam invited Danielle, Louis was bringing Eleanor, and Zayn and Harry decided to go on their own, and look for girls.  I was glad that everyone was coming.  It made me glad that we all got along so well.  Even though John was coming, I was excited for tonight and glad that all my friends were going to be there as well.  

Everyone stood around in the living room, ready to go.  In my room,  I tucked her card into an envelope and put it safely in my pants pocket.  At the bar we were meeting at, we sat down and got a table, and chatted until Sophie arrived.  

When she finally came around at about eight, John trailed behind her.  She was wearing a black skirt and lacy white top.  Her hair was completely natural, as always.  She wore heels, making her slightly closer to my height.  She looked absolutely beautiful.  I gave her a hug and said, “Happy almost birthday!  You look lovely.”  She smiled.  “As do you,” she said.  More hugs and “happy birthday”s were exchanged.  The boys each gave her a massive hug and a kiss on the cheek, and it made me happy to see how close they all were with her.