CHAPTER TWO

They began with different hues of green and yellow, a dry forest in the middle of winter, and slowly shifted to different hues of blue—eyes

   They began with different hues of green and yellow, a dry forest in the middle of winter, and slowly shifted to different hues of blue—eyes. The majority of the times she dreamed of them, the eyes were full of the same burning rage that ran through her veins. They shifted and swayed with flames, a sudden rage that couldn't be stilled. Wild. There were those certain times where those hues of blue were a glacier in the middle of the Arctic Sea, frozen forever in time. The hair was strands of gold, like hay that contained a soft summer's glow. At times, the hair was long, rendering to cheeks and neck, and then there were times where the hair was short, an evolving of time.

   The smudgy male she dreamed of was angelic, yet his eyes bore a hard expression, a warning of the devil beneath.

   Roseanne woke up with a start, the jeering of the car knocking her head against the glass. She blinked several times to take notice of her surroundings, realising that she was in the back seat of the van with Reese sitting beside her. His head was back against the seat, mouth open with little snores escaping. To his other side, Theo Gates played on his phone. She looked at the front of the car, seeing Nemiah driving and Agnes beside him. The woman pointed at things, softly muttering to her mate about them.

   Agnes glanced back and grinned widely. "You're finally awake," she said with amusement laced on her tongue. "You've been asleep ever since we left the restaurant this morning."

   "Where are we?" Roseanne stretched her legs as far as they would go between her and the seat. Her butt hurt from sitting too long, her right arm numb from pressing it against the wall of the car, and her throat felt dry. It had been several hours since the full moon passed since she woke up in the middle of the woods naked and covered in pine needles. As soon as everyone was counted for and dressed, they went out to eat at a local diner. While eating, Nemiah chose several people that would accompany him and Agnes to New Orleans. She happened to be one of the few that was chosen, something she regretted as soon as her name came from his mouth.

   "Montana," Nemiah answered as he lowered the volume of the radio. "We're close to Wyoming."

   "We're going to change drivers every once in a while," Agnes added. "I don't think Nemiah and I can drive for thirty-nine hours straight."

   "But you two were so impatient about wanting to see this hybrid baby," Roseanne mumbled, leaning her head back against the window. She felt the little shakes hitting against her skull, her teeth chattering with each bump. "I don't see what's so special about it."

   "It's a baby between a wolf and a vampire," Agnes said with pure wonder. "How can it not be special?"

   "Vampires can't reproduce," Nemiah joined. "So, how could this happen, huh?"

   "I don't know, why don't you ask it." She half-rolled her eyes and shifted in her seat, Reese's shoulder bumping against hers with every small movement. He was the only person where she didn't mind touching her, not even the brush of his skin against hers bothered her. Not one bit.