Chapter 17

Juliet was pacing in Kusy's room again.

     "You are going to wear through my carpet," Kusy finally said, throwing down the letter she'd been writing.

     Barely glancing at her, Juliet said, "Clarisse's going to retaliate, and soon."

     "We should not be afraid of her."

    "I'm not." Juliet shot Kusy a hard look. "Not anymore, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be cautious. I'm worried she'll take it out on Ryder."

    Kusy rolled her pen through her fingers as she tried to think up the appropriately uplifting response. Before she could, there was a knock at the door.

     They exchanged cautious glances. Kusy got up, clutching the pen in her fist like a weapon. "Who is it?" She called.

     "It's Krow," came a male voice. "I want to speak with you both." There was a pause, then a hurried, "Your Majesties."

     Kusy looked at Juliet, who nodded. With a quiet sigh, Kusy opened her door to reveal Krow, grinning slightly at the pair of them.

     "Thanks," he said, stepping into the room. Kusy shut the door behind him and didn't relax her grip on the pen.
    "What do you want?"

     He glanced down at the pen in her fist, his brows knitting together in concern. "I, uh, wanted to tell you that you're an amazing fighter."

     "I know."

     Krow sighed but smiled with the noise. "I've just never fought anyone like you."

     "Is this all you came to say?" Kusy rolled the pen through her fingers. "I have better things to do than talk about my skill with you."

     "No, it's not." He turned to Juliet, who had been watching them quietly. "I mostly came to talk to you."

     "So talk," the queen said quietly.

     Krow took a deep breath. "I've been thinking a lot recently, about—about Ryder. I didn't know him for very long or very well, but he was a good man."

     "You're talking like he's already dead."

     "Right." Krow squeezed his eyes shut and rubbed his head. "It's just—when you hear the word Sadea next to someone's name, they're as good as dead." He opened his eyes and clasped his fingers together, thinking carefully. "Ryder is a good man," he said finally. "And...when the two of you asked me to get you into that ball, I did it because you promised me a promotion and because you said you were going to get rid of Clarisse. But I've been thinking—and I'm not here because of either of those things. I'm here, because you're the Queen of Trilea. I'm here because I'm a member of the high guard and yet I'm not protecting anyone important."

     Kusy sighed loudly, cutting him off. "Maybe you are here because Clarisse sent you for information," she suggested. "Maybe you are here because you work for the rebels."

    He glanced over his shoulder at her. "I'm not—I'm not either of those things," he said firmly. "I'm here because I want—I want to help."

     Juliet raised her brows. "You want to help?"

     He nodded firmly. "You're going to take your throne back, right? I can help you."

     Kusy leaned to the side to meet Juliet's gaze. "I can stab him if you would like," she offered.

     "That's okay," Juliet replied, her eyes still on Krow. 

     "He is probably lying."

    "I know, Kusy. But if not..." She stood, crossing her arms. She was a good head shorter than Krow, but she was staring him down. "I don't trust you, Krow. I'm not going to let you in on my plans, or anything, but I am going to give you a command. And a promise."

     He nodded slowly. "I'm ready."

     She leaned forward, looking right into his eyes. "Protect Ryder Tate. Don't let the prison guards beat him, kill him, anything."

     He seemed relieved as he nodded again. "I won't." He paused. "And the promise?"

     Her eyes were ice, her voice cold. "If he dies," she told Krow. "It will be your fault."