Chapter 1

Kusy had heard stories of Amidia since before she could walk.

City of jewels, city of glass, city of beauty and wonder and ageless knowledge, ruled by legendary kings and queens who had infinite patience and grace.

Kusy guessed that the people who had told these stories had stayed in the good parts of the city.

She had entered through the slums, and that was where she now walked through—the festering, rotting underbelly of the city. The houses—if you could call them that—were gray, leaning on each other and peppered with holes. Pale, gaunt faces turned up to look at her as she walked through the muddy streets. Some reached up to ask for coin, food, anything, but most had already lost hope and simply watched her with broken eyes.

From here, the palace in the distance stood out like a sore thumb. It was a giant mass of gleaming glass towers, and Kusy hated that it was where she was going. Hated the fact that she had to stay there for at least a year.

Her palace was much nicer, in Kusy's opinion. It was long and low, built of a sandy brick that matched the desert around it. She already missed her home, feeling out of place in this giant city.

Kusy was the first daughter of the royal family, which meant she was first in line for the throne of Brind, Trilea's closest neighbor. But her grandfather had died only six months ago, and her father and mother had just taken the throne, so Kusy had a long time until she was expected to take the crown. Because of this, her parents had decided she needed to learn more about the customs in other countries and had sent her to Trilea.

They had sent her alone—without a guard or maid in waiting, so Kusy could learn how to depend on herself.

She didn't mind. She preferred being alone.

Kusy finally reached the end of the poverty-ridden part of the city and started walking through the richer area: The streets were cleaner, only servants walked the streets, and the houses were tall and beautiful. She slowly became aware of people staring at her, which was to be expected. These people were all much paler than she was, and her hair was a dark knot tied on top of her head. Her clothes, too, marked her as an outsider. These people were all dressed in one or two layers, but she had several, from her undershirt, over shirt, leggings, jacket, and overcoat. Her dark coat reached her knees and the collar was tall, obscuring the sides of her face up to her cheekbones. She also noted how many people stared at the diadem around her brow—some, with simple curiosity, but most with barely veiled hunger. She met each of their gazes with a glare of her own, daring them to try and take it.

She wasn't sure if she was disappointed when she reached the palace gates. She didn't want to be there, of course, but it would be better than sleeping outside and eating wild animals she caught and then cooked over a fire.

"What's your business here?" One of the gate guards asked, looking her up and down. His accent was sharp, very different from what Kusy was used to.

"I am Princess Kusy of Brind," She replied, shifting the bag on her shoulder. "I have come to stay at the palace."

The guard looked over his shoulder at another man in a royal uniform, who nodded. The gate started to creak open, and the first guard inclined his head.

"Welcome to Trilea, Your Highness. I will accompany you to the throne room."

She simply nodded her thanks and followed him up the short gravel walk that lead to the ornate front doors of the palace itself. He opened them for her, then briskly strode down a hallway.

Kusy couldn't help herself from staring around—it was unlike any place that she'd been before. All of it was glass and marble, white and silver. They passed several servants in the halls, all of whom kept their heads focused on the floor. Rooms lined the halls, and when the doors were open Kusy spotted several men and women in fancy clothes that looked too cumbersome to bother with.

The guard stopped outside of a set of thick glass doors and jerked his thumb at them. "The queen regent is in there," He said. "She'll give you someone to take you to your rooms."

"The regent?" Kusy frowned—her parents hadn't said anything about a regent. "What about the queen?"

The guard's face closed. "She's not well," He replied shortly. "Forget about her—it's better if you do."
Kusy watched him turn on his heel and walk off, his shoulder length yellow hair sparkling in the easy light. Then she shoved open the doors to the throne room and strode inside, raising her chin several notches.

A slim woman was lounging on the throne. Her eyes were narrowed already when she spotted Kusy, and then they traveled over her entire form. Kusy was getting tired of people checking her out—hadn't they heard of foreigners before?

"You must be Princess Kusy," The woman said, sitting up slightly. "Welcome to Amidia."

"Thank you," Kusy replied, trying to keep her voice from being too tight. She noted eleven guards in the throne room—ten around the perimeter and one standing directly behind the throne. "You have a lovely city."

It was a lie, but one the woman bought with a lazy smile.

"Yes, I do, don't I?" She smirked at Kusy, who didn't change her expression from coldness. "Well, I'll have someone show you to your rooms. I'm sure you're tired from your travels, so we can discuss what you'll be doing around here at a later time."

Kusy was trying her hardest not to hate the woman. She didn't want to make her time here any more miserable than it had to be, but this woman wasn't giving her much choice on the matter.

Snapping her fingers, the woman on the throne leaned back against the arm of the throne again and slung her legs over the other arm. A young woman came out of the back, her head bowed.

"Show Her Highness to her new quarters," the regent said. "And run her a bath while you're at it."

Kusy didn't reply to the woman on the throne as the servant walked out of the room—she didn't want to say something she'd regret.

The servant set a brisk pace, and Kusy hurried to catch up to her. "Slow down, please," she said. "I have been walking for days."

The woman slowed, but didn't look up at Kusy. She frowned. "Who was that?" She asked. "On the throne?"

The servant didn't look up at her, but she replied, "Queen Regent Clarisse."
"Where is the true queen?"

At that, the servant shot Kusy a fearful look. "Don't say that," she said. "If Clarisse hears, she'll throw a fit."

"Why?"

The servant looked over her shoulder nervously, as if she was worried about someone overhearing. "Clarisse detests any reminder that she's not the real queen," she whispered. "She once threw a seven maids in the dungeons for a week because one of them said that she liked the queen better than Clarisse. They were fired after they got out."

Kusy's brows narrowed. "No one in Brind knows that Clarisse rules," she said. "Why?"

The servant shrugged, starting up a staircase. "I'm not sure," she muttered. "Clarisse doesn't want her throne to be challenged, I guess."

They stopped at the end of a short hallway that had three doors on each side. "Your room is right here," the servant said, pointing to the nearest door. "No one else stays up here, so you've got it all to yourself."

"Thank you," Kusy replied, adjusting her bag again. "You have been very helpful."

The servant started back down the stairs, but Kusy still caught the fearful look she threw over her shoulder.

Hello!! I'm super pumped for this sequel. I hope you all enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it!