Jon Snow - "I will be there for you from this day to my very last"

During the last couple of minutes there had been nothing but silence. Somehow everyone had looked over their shoulders once in a while to see how the wall, the border between the white walkers and Westeros, slowly disappeared behind the horizon. This could very well be a suicide mission and you all knew it.

Yet you couldn't bring yourself to regret your decision to come along. You had been one of the very few people to see the white walkers and to live to tell the story. You were one of the very few people who could somehow mentally prepare for this mission. You volunteering meant that someone else, someone less experienced, wouldn't have to face their worst nightmare.

"If you want to turn around and go home, this is your last chance." Jon's footsteps sounded heavy in the thick layer of snow. Little white crystals were stuck in his long black curls, tied into a bun on the back of his head.

"And letting you go to face the white walkers on your own?" You raised your eyebrows. You were the only woman in this entire company, but for the first time you felt completely equal, you felt like you belonged, like you were seen as just as important as any of the other men. "I don't think so." You shook your head and paused for a moment. "I know that this mission is crazy. I know that maybe none of us will ever see Westeros again. So be it. There's no one as crazy as we are. That's why we're best friends." You took a few seconds to breath in and out, to calm your nervousness. "And at least when I fight by your side I'll know how you're doing. I'd be worried sick if I were at home and wouldn't hear a thing."

Jon grinned, but the grin didn't reach his eyes. Most of the people he had called his friend had either died or betrayed him or those he cared about. He could count the people he really trusted with his life on one hand, even if he would count you twice. "Maybe it's not a suicide mission. Maybe we'll make it back home. Everything is possible. The impossible just takes longer."

"As long as it doesn't take that long that we all freeze to death, I'll be fine." You playfully brushed his shoulder and your lips curled up into a smile. "I can live without a toe or finger though." You shrugged your shoulders. "I don't want to die without any scars anyway." You raised your eyebrows a little, but Jon's serious mood couldn't be disturbed.

He had been like this ever since he had returned from the dead. He had been like this ever since he had realized that it didn't matter what happened in Westeros if no one would do something about the white walkers. "Maybe the North made a mistake." Jon spoke softly. "Maybe they should have crowned you Queen in the North. There is no one I would rather follow into a battle." He locked his glance with yours and you ignored the shiver rolling down your spine.

"You're a good King, Jon. I know you don't think that yourself, but you are. And do you know why?" You didn't give him the chance to interrupt you. "Because there is some good in this world, and it's worth fighting for and that's what you do. You don't fight for power or gold. You fight for the good in this world, for those who deserve to live." You shrugged your shoulders. "They believe in you. I believe in you."

Jon stared at a point in the far distance. There was snow as far as your eyes could see, but he seemed to notice something no one else noticed yet. "There is a difference between believing in me and joining me on a mission like this." Jon turned his head towards you, but you avoided his glance.

"What did you expect?" You spoke firmly, but softly. "We've faced the white walkers once already. I am one of the best sword fighters you have." You looked up at him and your glance met his. "And maybe I didn't officially swear an oath, but I hope you know I will be there for you from this day to my very last."

"Maybe we should consider this your official oath then." Jon swallowed. "And I will swear the same thing to you."