Story of My Life: Touring Cheshire

Anne Twist was making a pot of tea in her kitchen as 'This Morning with Phillip and Holly' droned on in the background.  Gemma was setting the table on the patio when she heard a car pull up.  A moment later Harry and Kacey popped through the gate and into the garden.  Harry put his finger to his lips as he approached the patio.   He continued on to the sliding door while Kacey stopped to hug Gemma.  Stepping quietly up to his mum, he put his hands over her eyes and said softly "Guess who?"

"Harry!" she exclaimed as she turned and hugged him. "Sweetheart, this is a surprise!"

"I had a few days off and thought we might visit for a bit."

"Oh, I'm so glad.  Where is Kassidy?" she asked, looking behind her son to find his girlfriend walking in the door.

"Hi Anne," Kacey smiled as she entered Anne's open arms.

Anne hugged her and it felt...different. She felt softer than usual. Anne pulled back and looked at Kacey with surprise and a growing smile. She glanced at Harry's face and saw his huge grin.

"Is there something you want to tell me?" she said, smiling broadly.

Harry looked to Kacey and said, "I told you she'd know. Mum, you're going to be a Nana."

Gemma squealed behind Kacey and scooted in for a big group hug.

*

"Hi Daddy!" Kacey said to the computer screen.

"There's my daughter. How's my number one girl? And Harry, how are you?"

While they made small talk for a few minutes, Kacey could hear her stepmother in the background talking to her siblings.

"Well, Daddy, we have something to tell you."

"You're getting married?!"

"Um, no. You are going to be a grandpa," she said, her smile wide.

Sam Day did not smile at the news. He paused and, although only for a few seconds, it felt like an eternity to Kacey as her smile began to fade. With a hint of a frown her father looked at Harry and said, "You got my daughter pregnant? So what do you plan to do about it?"

"Daddy!" Kacey exclaimed, censure in her voice. A light flush crept into her cheeks.

Harry squeezed her hand out of sight of the camera and replied, "I'm going to love her and take care of her and our child," he replied in a pleasant but firm tone.

Sam Day gave Harry a hard stare then turned his attention back to his daughter. "When is this blessed event going to take place?"

"Baby is due in February, February 12."

"How--" he was interrupted by Harry's phone ringing. It was Jeff and, with an apology, Harry excused himself to take the call.

Starting again, Sam asked "How are you feeling?"

"I'm well. My doctor says everything is fine. Baby is about the size of a large grape," she said with a small grin.

"Hmm. Been sick at all?"

"No, I feel fine. Just tired."

"Your mother never got sick with you," he said grudgingly.

"I didn't know that." After a long pause she said "Daddy, I have to go. Just wanted to tell you the good news. But please don't tell anyone other than Lucinda. I'm not ready for that publicity yet."

"Okay, Kassidy. Take care of yourself."

"I will Daddy. I love you."

"I love you, too."