Chapter 12

The morning after she had become lost in the storm, Kacey had awakened before dawn and could not go back to sleep. She lay in the dark listening to Harry's soft breathing and trying not to cry. She was unsuccessful. All she could think about was how she had royally fucked up. She should have just answered his mum, just told her what she wanted to know. She shouldn't have lectured her then stalked out like a petulant child. What they must think of her!

Until this trip she had somehow managed to hide her crazy side from Harry but the day before it had come blazing out in all its glory. He had been so kind to her last night, but he was the kindest person she had ever met. He was kind to everyone. She knew it was just a matter of time now. She wondered if he would tell her it was just not going to work out or if he would slowly stop spending time with her until he left for good. She wasn't sure which would be worse but she did know that, either way, she was going to lose him.

She closed her eyes, tears streaming down her cheeks. She opened them again when she felt Harry's thumbs softly wiping the tears away.

"What's all this, pet?" his voice gentle and his eyes concerned.

Her lips trembled as she began in a tremulous whisper "I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to cause such a ruckus! I was unforgivably ru--"

"Shhh, love. No. Mum told me what happened; why you left so suddenly. She was very worried about you and sorry for, well, I'm sure she'll tell you herself," he said quietly.

Kacey's tears would not stop. She tried to quell them but the stress of the last 24 hours was too much. Harry held her in his arms, cradled against his chest while she cried soundlessly. Finally, the sobs lessened. He looked down at her, kissing the last of the tears from her face. He continued kissing down her cheeks to her chin, then her throat and on down her body. He kissed every inch of her, and then returned to her face to look into her eyes. He made love to her then, trying to tell her with his body what he was not yet brave enough to say aloud.

*

Kacey was unusually quiet for the rest of their stay. Though she and Anne had apologized to one another, Kacey was still uncomfortable and did not want to be alone with her. Harry was usually right next to her, hesitant to let her out of his sight. Gemma kept her mother occupied much of the time. When Anne suggested they accompany her to visit old friends one afternoon, Kacey politely declined opting instead to stay at the house. Though she explained that she needed to study the script for an upcoming episode of Mortwick Murders, Harry knew that the primary reason was to avoid spending the afternoon trapped in a car with his mum. Harry kissed her goodbye and Kacey spent the afternoon with Robin. She was drawn to his gentle demeanor and quiet humor. He, in turn, enjoyed getting to know the woman who had captured his stepson's heart.

*

The next four weeks were very busy for both Kacey and Harry. After driving back to London, they had only two days together before One Direction's fifth album was released and all the promotion craziness began. The Made in the AM release coincided with a Justin Bieber album release and the internet went ballistic hyping a competition that wasn't there. Kacey was annoyed at the comparisons, particularly when 1D debuted at Number 2 in the US behind Bieber at Number 1.

"Laura, those assholes all need a fucking punch in the nuts. Did you read this bullshit? Bieber has been too busy spitting on fans and pissing in mop buckets to release an album in the last three years. This is the guys' THIRD album in those three years. Let's compare total sales, yeah? Those anonymous little digs on the internet. Fuckers. I want them killed," Kacey was raging over the phone.

Laura, listening on speaker as she worked in her office in the US, made the appropriate soothing noises at the appropriate points in the tirade that continued. She decided to intervene as Kacey began planning how she was going to do away with the people criticizing One Direction.