Chapter 5

Kacey awoke to find herself snugged up against Harry, she the little to his big spoon. He lay against her, arm draped loosely over her, his muscles still slack with sleep. She turned slightly so that she could look at him. His face so soft and relaxed in sleep, he looked younger and vulnerable. A tremendous rush of protectiveness washed through her and her heart filled with a ferocity she had never experienced. She felt like a mama bear ready to defend her cubs. Kacey knew that he was an astute, grown man who could take care of himself but she also knew he had had his share of hurts in the past. She'd be damned if she would let anyone hurt him again. She might be small in stature but she could be downright savage towards anyone who made the mistake of harming one of her friends. She reached up and touched his cheek softly.

She would have been content to lay there forever, but nature was calling. Trying to disentangle herself gently without waking him proved to be impossible, he woke with a start.

"Where ya going, love?" he croaked, grabbing for her hand.

"Let go, I have to pee," she giggled scooting off the bed.

He watched appreciatively as she strode to the bathroom. She was just washing her hands when she looked up to see him standing in the doorway in all his glory. Kacey was so absorbed in looking at him that she momentarily forgot what she was doing. He was enjoying his view as well, certain parts of him now waking up at the sight of her standing there naked. He was growing and lengthening before her eyes.

"Love, please don't look at me like that," he said quietly.

Kacey was afraid she had upset him by the pained tone of his voice and quickly muttered an apology, embarrassed.

"Oh, love, no. It's just because I need to wee and I won't be able to if you keep looking at me that way."

Finally understanding, she grinned. "How about I go fix something to eat and you join me when you're finished?"

"Sounds like a plan."

"Do you like lamb?"

Kacey pulled on her panties and a t-shirt and headed to the kitchen. Grabbing the apron hanging by the kitchen door, she tied it on and went to the fridge. She pulled the lamb out of the marinating bag and placed it in a pan, then into the oven. Harry appeared as she was taking out some new potatoes, peas, and pancetta. He was wearing only a smile and she found herself staring at him once again. He walked into the kitchen and put his arms around her, kissing her on the neck. Leaning into his embrace, they stood swaying to a song that wasn't there. After a moment, Kacey stretched up and kissed him on the neck, nudging his hair out of the way with her nose. Harry released her and she resumed preparing the meal.

"Would you like something to drink? I think I have just about everything," she offered indicating her liquor cabinet.

Harry opened the cupboard door to find bottle after bottle. "You weren't kidding. So, do you drink often?" he asked tentatively.

"Oh! No! I really don't. I wasn't sure what you liked to drink, or even if you would, but I wanted to be sure I was stocked just in case. I usually stick to wine though there are days..." her voice trailed off.

"You bought all this for me? You really are the hostess with the mostest," he grinned.

"Well, you are the 'guestest who's the bestest' ... I guess..." and they broke into giggles.

"So we fit then. How about I pour us a glass of red wine?" he offered.

"Perfect," she said, placing the cut potatoes into a pan with some olive oil and rosemary and placed them into the oven next to the lamb.