"My brother and his businesses!" Georgiana exclaimed."While there is always a business, it must be urgent, and while it is always urgent, he must be attending to it. But come Lizzy you must dance with Edward, you promised him a dance. "

"Well, excuse me sir,duty calls,"Elizabeth said as she hurried away with Georgiana.

Mr Edward Woodland was a shrewd man and an exceptional dancer.As soon as  Elizabeth began to dance with him, she began to understand that he had not sought her for the mere enjoyment of the moment, but to seek a private audience.

"It is good to see you again Mrs Darcy, thank you for having us at Pemberly," he said when the music was loud enough so that only Lizzy could hear him.

"It is always a pleasure to have the estate full of jovial fellows."

"I did not have the pleasure of seeing Mr Darcy during half the ceremony. "

"He had to take care of urgent business, receive my apologies on his behalf. "

"Such a gracious wife he has in you.  Does the urgent business involve your brother in law Wickham by any chance?"

Elizabeth worked hard to maintain a calm countenance, "You presume too much Mr Woodland. "

"We are brother and sister now Mrs Darcy, we should not have secrets between us. "

"There are none. He did not elaborate to me the nature of his business though, all I know is that it is urgent. What makes you think it is Wickham?"

"I am a lawyer, his name has got around London, he is bad news, Wickham. Too deep in debt,  several natural children, and a not so clever wife.I got a glimpse of him at the wedding, before some servants whisked him away discreetly, I immediately knew there was some trouble. "

"He is no gentleman, but whether Mr Darcy has gone to attend to him or not is not a question I can honestly answer you. "

"If women were allowed into professions you would have made an excellent studier of the law Mrs Darcy. "

"Oh,  thank you Mr Woodland. "

The danced in silence for about a minute before he spoke again, "I know I am being impertinent, my apologies Mrs Darcy, but pray tell, when is Mr Darcy choosing an heir? He already has several nieces and nephews. "

Elizabeth was startled by the high degree of impertinence in the question, but she reminded herself, he was a lawyer, those fellows found nothing wrong with sticking their rather huge noses in other people's businesses, "Mr Darcy is not four and thirty, an heir may be born to him. "

"But until then he needs someone who will take care of you in case he departs too young, the world is changing,  London is not as safe as it used to be."

"You and Georgiana will not throw me in the streets, will you?"

"No but our son may. "

The dance was coming to an end,  and the conversation was making Elizabeth uncomfortable,  without another word to him, she excused herself and went on her way.  Charlotte smiled hopefully at her as she passed by,  Elizabeth knew her friend wanted to talk, but she will have to wait until the next day, for now, all she wanted to do was be alone.

She went upstairs and paused at the door where Mrs Tompkins had said Ella was sleeping.  It was late, the girl was probably asleep,  but Elizabeth had to check to make sure she was not sick or something.

To her surprise,  Ella was wide awake, tears running down her face, Elizabeth's heart went out to the little girl, "Ella dear, do not cry,  tell me what is wrong. Are you hungry? Wet? " Elizabeth asked as she pulled the little girl on her lap and rocked her gently.

"I want my mama, "Ella said with a sob.

"Your Mama is gone but she will come back soon. I am here now tell me what troubles you. "

"I want Mama," Ella said again and again.

"Sh. It is okay now, you are okay," Elizabeth said gently. After some time,  the sobs subsided and Ella went to sleep.  Elizabeth laid her gently on the bed and bent down to kiss her forehead, the child was a good looking little thing, having inherited all of her father's handsome features, Elizabeth hoped she got none of his character and less of Lidya's too. With the right upbringing, Ella should turn out fine.Right there and then, Elizabeth made a decision to keep the girl no matter what Mr Darcy will have to say about it.  If need be,  she will provide for her from her own expense, and give her the comforts that Lidya could not afford her.

She went down again when the ball came to an end, to say goodbye to the guests who were going home,  to supervise the carriages and the servants and make sure the guests who were staying were comfortable.

Georgiana and her husband were to stay at Pemberly until Mr Darcy came back,which gave Elizabeth a little comfort. She bid her good nights to all her guests and went to her room to have some rest.

She kept awake for the most part of the night, expecting him to come in any time,  but he did not.  Finally, she fell asleep hoping he will be home by morning.