Part Six

They laid in their bedroom, side by side for the first time in months. Breathing heavily, Lovino turned over to look at his love. Honestly, he had been missing everything about him. The way he felt, how he smelt, how their bodies mixed together between the sheets.

"I know the war wasn't the most fucking pleasant thing, but I'm here now. I promise you'll never have to go away again. We can stay here forever if you wish." Antonio offered, gently wiping Lovino's hair away from his sweat-ridden forehead.

"If only, my King. I just... your dad... he was the only thing I had that resembled a father. I can't imagine how you're feeling. Your mother was talking about the subject the other day, as well." He muttered, lulling off into sleep slowly. His eyes were fluttering in a struggle to stay open. 

"About what, mi amore?"

"Stepping down, and letting you take the crown." He said, before dozing off into a deep sleep.
.
.
.

He paced the length of their room over 30 times, his finger to his mouth, pondering in deep thought. What would he do, running a kingdom? His people trusted him and loved him, sure, but his thoughts were plagued with war. He couldn't let that determine how his kingdom was run. When his mother passed away, he would step up. That wouldn't be for at least another 15 years if she went naturally. It was too much. 

He stepped onto his balcony. The morning sun peered over the watery horizon, painting the sky in dark hues of the rainbow. Antonio heard shifts behind him. Lovino was rising, and rubbing his eyes. Parts of his skin was lit up in the morning haze. When he wanted to get out of his bed, he pulled on a robe and came over to stand next to him. Taking a breath, he spoke. 

"You know, it isn't your duty to take the throne. Not right now. Explain to your mother you aren't ready. That it's too much to think about right now. You defended your country, and you will rule it. Soon enough. I will be there with you," he said. His clearheadedness and rationality spoke to Antonio. Although Lovino was known for being temperamental and brash, there was this side to him. Regal and composed. 

The perfect king. 

.

.

.
At breakfast in the morning, the Queen sat at the head. Still dressed in black from mourning, a lace handkerchief was tucked into her hand at all times. Any mention of her husband would bring her back to the emotional state she was in when she got the news. She did, however, have to thank God for not taking her sons. The grand doors open, and in stepped Lovino and Antonio. They were dressed plainly, bags under their eyes. She figured they both didn't get much sleep. She rose as they entered. Antonio kissed his mother's hand and hugged her quickly. Lovino bowed slightly, rather out of habit than a formality. 

"Buenas Dìas, my sons. Come sit and eat with me. We have much to discuss." The Queen allowed her chair to be pulled out from under her and sat down. The two men did the same. Lovino started eating almost immediately, ravenous from last night's activities. 

"Antonio, I'm sure you've heard by now that I want you to take over the crown. You're the oldest, and it is your birthright. Your brother is off at sea most of the time, but you could make him in charge of the Navy. I'm about ready to," she laughed quietly. She missed her son but understood he was doing something he loved. 

"Mother, I know what you want. I just don't think I can do it right now. I understand wanting to grieve for Father and stepping down to do so in private. Couldn't I just wait until God decides to take you away from me? He will judge when it's my time to rule." Antonio tried to appeal to her Catholic side. She gave him a glance but nodded her head. 

"Perhaps you're right, my son. God will decide. I should show the country how to be strong in times of grief. I will continue to be the diplomatic pillar for Spain. But you must realize without your father directly in charge, people will begin to question me. Many do not want a woman to rule. You may need to be the public face of the kingdom for a while." Lovino sat his fork down after finishing his main meal. He sipped his wine while he waited for a response from Antonio. He nodded. 

"Of course. Thank you, Mother. You are always so gracious." Antonio ate quickly and got up to escort Lovino out to the stables. They were going for a ride this afternoon. They said their goodbyes to the Queen, and walked arm in arm towards the stables.

.

.

.

A/N: This whole story has basically been abandoned. But, I had people still into the story. This chapter is a filler. I would love to continue this story one day, but I'm now a junior in high school. The last time I touched this I was a freshman or in middle school and writing was basically my life. Now, I have a lot to worry about and balance. I'm sorry for those who are interested in my writing, but I never update. I may update now and again, but maybe not!Thank you so much for your support!