Part Five

-Antonio's POV-

It had been hell. Every moment that I was awake, I was in fear and turmoil. If this was what Hell was supposed to feel like, I would repent and never sin again. Even when we were on our way back and Afonso was fending off the little that was left of the Anglais armada, I didn't feel like I achieved anything except injuries. My father died for this; for what? How would Lovi react? Would he think I'm a failure? I missed him to no end, and I worried what was happening with my mother as well. She had help from Lovino, but she was getting old and after the news of my father I had no update on her emotional or physical health.

My father had died protecting me. I was careless and engaged in a battle with someone much stronger than I. When the man lunged at me, my papí threw himself in front of the sword hilt; gleaming with blood of the innocent. I don't know how my mom will react when she finds out I killed my father, even if it was an accident. I can't help but think I'm a murderer.

"Sir," a soldier called from behind me. "At this rate we'll reach Portugal by mid morning tomorrow. Would you like one of us to ride ahead and tell the Queen and Italian prince?" I nodded slowly. Lovi would be happy I was returning, and hopefully he would not shame me for the things I had done for my country.
.
.
.
A cook's word traveled to a servant, then to a maid, then to the prince that Antonio was coming back in a day. A grand feast and another ball was planned in haste. Was this even a good idea? Who knows what they had all saw; why would they want to be reminded of the atrocities on the battlefield and on the waves? The day he was supposed to be returning Lovino stood anxiously on the front steps and fidgeted with his crown. A crowd had gathered behind barricades that made a wide and straight line. Soldiers would be returning to their families and their would only be a small crowd on horseback.

Hooves and horses were seen from down the cobblestone road, and he called to Isabella to hurry out to the front. The southern Italian was trying to make out shapes that were emerging out of the distance. There, in the front, was his Prince Charming. A solemn look on his face was out place versus the smile he always had. All Lovino even wanted was for him to smile, or even look him in the eyes.

"He's not himself. That's not... That's not my Antonio," he breathed out in disbelief. All he wanted was to see those eyes he loved to gaze into light up. But when he saw his lover he hadn't seen for 5 months, he did... nothing. No smile or acknowledgment.

When his horse reached the front steps with some others, he watched him silently get down from his steed and walk to him, armor clanking together. He had changed. They stood, staring at each other.

His hair was longer.

He looked like an actual prince.

His eyes didn't shine.

He had never looked so handsome.

He looked so broken.

Why couldn't he do anything?

"I missed you, Lovino," he admitted quietly to break the silence.

"I missed you so much you fucking bastard!" Clinging tightly and sobbing into his plated chest, he pounded his fists lightly and started cussing him out in Italian. Soothing him and taking his armor off casually, he spoke softly into his ear and mouthed a "hello" to his mother. She was in tears as well, but simply waved and wiped them away,

"I know I'm a bastard, mi amore. Swear at me all you want I deserve it," he picked him up and kissed him, showing his real emotions, intentions, and feelings about leaving him for so long. Wrapping his legs around his waist, Lovino held on for dear life and didn't want to let go in fear of him leaving again.

Delicate hands were on Antonio's face; the one's he loved to hold when they walked in the garden and the ones that were there when he needed someone to hold on to. Lovino wiped the remaining tears away, getting down off of him hesitantly. It was hard to maintain balance and stay on armor. They walked inside, hand in hand as the crowds cheered. But no one who was on the battlefield felt like celebrating. 

.

.

.
A/N: 

This is kind of a sad chapter but I changed it up to Toni's POV for a little bit. I'm not a big huge fan of first person but I decided to mix it up because I love toying with emotions and setting up what the character feels on the inside.

Join me in the next chapter!