28: He's Not From Around Here

Start from the beginning

The spark of light grew in intensity.

"He's gonna fly straight into it.", Nick said bewildered by what he was seeing. "He's going to self destruct, and that bubble he's going to create is going to eat away a quarter of the galley."

A moment later the light stuttered, flickered, flashed...and was gone. The bubble never appeared, leaving the craft hurling directly through the space where the light had been only an instant before. The ship passed merely feet above Deep Blue's galley, and crashed nose first into the rocky sea shelf where the station rested.

A sandy cloud exploded with a reverberating thud, at the point of impact and the ground shook so hard that it was felt by everyone inside Deep Blue.

A moment of silence passed as the three stared at the growing dust cloud that rolled across the ground trying to process the events of the last several moments.

It was Nick that spoke first. "Hmmm, that was unexpected.", he said stating the painfully obvious.

"Syndi, damage report.", Doctor Marshall called out.

As cool and calm as ever the A.I. reported, "It missed Deep Blue by 0.6 meters Doctor. The station sustained no damage."

"Send out the Stooges.", the doctor ordered. "Let's have a closer look at whatever that is out there."

"Yes Doctor.", Syndi replied.

Almost instantly, one-by-one the drones powered up, leapt from their charging stations and flew toward the moon pool.

Nick couldn't believe his ears, "You're just going to send the drones out there to -- what -- check things out? Make sure everything is ok?"

The doctor nodded, "Yes. That's the general idea."

"That is Sheppard," the doctor added dryly, "unless you'd like to step outside and have a closer look yourself."

"No doc.", Nick replied. "I don't need to get a closer look. I know what's out there. It shot at me. Typically, if something shoots at me I don't have the urge to go say 'hello'."

Nick left the console area and rapidly headed toward the exit with heavy footsteps.

"I'll be in my quarters making my report if anybody needs me."

Nick's hasty and dramatic retreat came to a very sudden halt as he nearly ran face first into the large metal door. The doctor had not yet lifted the "lock down" on the station. As a result, the door wasn't going to budge and Nick very nearly ran right into the sealed metal door.

Taking a single step back Nick reluctantly requested, "A little help here doc?"

"Syndi,", the doc said with a smile, "release the lock-down, and the Lieutenant Commander."

Syndi's customary "Yes doctor.", was followed immediately by the hydraulic release and metal rolling that accompanied the opening of any of the moon pool doors.

"Thank you.", Nick muttered in frustration.

But instead of exiting, Nick pivoted and took a step back into the room, which triggered the door to begin to roll shut.

"And what are you going to do after you 'check things out'?", Nick asked. "Are you going to invite him to dinner? Maybe give him the 'grand tour'?", Nick joked spreading his arms wide.

The doctor's eyes still never left the displays, "At this point Lieutenant Commander, there's no indication that there's any 'him' to speak of."

"You know what,", Nick answered, "fine. Do what you want. But I'll tell you one thing, I'm not going back down there until the M.A.N.T.A.'s weapons are operational."