Chapter Nine

I woke up the next morning on the Laestrom's jet, around three thirty. We were still flying. My hair was plastered to my face, my eyes were red and swollen, and my legs were tangled in the sheets of the bed I was laying in. Alex sat next to me in a chair, asleep with his head against the wall of the room. He was snoring slightly. I watched Alex for a few minutes, and suddenly felt really lonely. It buried itself deep in my chest until I started sobbing again. "Alex," I choked out, stopping myself after a few sobs. "Please wake up."

He opened one eye lazily and looked at me, not moving his head. "Yes, dear?" He asked his voice deep with sleep.

"Can you please come here?" I asked my voice in a whisper.

"In bed with you?" Alex asked slowly. I nodded. "Are you sure?"

"Please come here." I begged, my voice sounding like a small child's. Alex stood and crawled into bed behind me. He didn't touch me at all and settled in. I backed myself up until we were touching and before I knew it, I was crying again. I felt Alex stiffen beside me. "Can you... can you hold me?" I asked, wiping at my face.

Alex cleared his throat and rolled onto his side, bringing one arm around my waist and pulling me closer to him, until we were spooning. I felt the feeling in my chest being to thaw away and eventually, I stopped crying. I was sure Alex was asleep, but I still settled into his body more, feeling at ease.

"Thank you," I whispered.

Alex kissed my head and tightened his grip on me. "You're welcome. I will do anything for you, Sofie, I told you that."

I bit my lip. "I know."

"We should sleep."

"We should."

"Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

I suddenly rolled over and we were face to face. I could see his face in the dim light of the digital clock glowing red on the bedside table. He stared deep into my eyes and I leaned forward and kissed him on the lips.

Alex kissed me back with no hesitation. I felt him smile as I pulled away, and when I opened my eyes again, they were bright. He opened his mouth to say something, but I put a finger to his lips and shushed him. I settled into his body again, and before I knew it, we were sleeping again.

When Alex and I woke up again, it was because Mrs. Laestrom was knocking on the door to our bedroom. "We've landed," she called out.

I bolted out of bed, smacking Alex in the face in the process. "Sorry!" I called out as I grabbed my bag and yanked a t-shirt out and a pair of jeans. I threw my pajamas off and yanked my jeans on and pulled the shirt over my head, pulling my hair into a ponytail.

When I turned around, Alex was staring at me. "What?" I asked him, rooting around for my toothbrush and toothpaste in my bag.

"Nothing," he smirked, getting out of bed too. He pulled a shirt on over his head and took his pajama pants off. I immediately blushed and turned around. "You've just never changed in front of me before." He said. I heard the zip of his jeans and I turned around again, my face in flames. "Also, you're wearing one of my shirts." He replied.

I smiled at him. "Sorry."

"I like it."

I bit my lip and went into the bathroom, clutching my toothbrush and toothpaste. I brushed my teeth and washed my face and then stepped out. Alex stepped in to brush his teeth and when he was done, we left the room. The silly mood he'd put me in just moments before was gone.

Mr. and Mrs. Laestrom led us off the jet and into a small black car waiting for us just off the landing strip. It began driving and I peered out the window.