Chapter Two

"Well," my mom said, trying to stay upbeat and positive. "What do you think of Asodoria?" We had just stepped off the plane, and were waiting in the runway for a car that was supposed to be here already to pick us up. The plane had already taken off; it was flying to Spain for the pilot to rest and fuel up because Asodoria had no airport, just a runway. "Huh, Sofie?" She said, nudging me.

"It's very green." I said quietly, turning my entire body to face away from her.

"It's because of the sea air." My mom said, sounding a million miles away, probably remembering her childhood, before she got whisked away to America. Probably how my life will be.

"Do people speak Spanish here?" Armando asked. I silently thanked him for asking the question I'd wanted to ask the most.

"Not many people do. It's mostly English now, but there are a few who speak mainly Spanish. There shouldn't be a bad language barrier, Sofie, and if you do run into trouble communicating, I'm sure Alexzander can help you."

Another knot formed in my stomach. Alexzander. I thought. I might as well get used to it now, since I've got no choice for the rest of my life.

"Yeah," I replied softly. A heavy hand was placed on my shoulder. I looked up at my dad.

"I know you're mad, and I know you're confused. But I just want you to know, we had no part in the decision making. We fought hard against it, but when your grandfather passed away, all hope on renewing the contract was gone. Both parties needed to sign a release of contract form, and since he's not here..." his voice trailed off.

"But you still kept it from me." I said harshly.

"Sofie," my dad said, pulling me into him and wrapping me in a hug. "We tried to save you. Would you really have had the normal life you've lived if you'd known you were engaged before you were born?" I stayed silent, he had a point. "Now you aren't the kind of girl who acts angry and shuts people out. So don't do it to us. It's going to be harder today if you act like this. If you just act like the sweet Sofie you are, this whole thing will be much better."

Right. I thought. "Okay," I said, not meaning it. I could change my outer attitude, but that didn't mean I had to comply inside.

A long black limo drove into sight, followed by another white one. My heart started pounding. The two limos pulled up by us, and a woman got out of the black one, followed by a man. The white limo's door didn't open.

My mouth nearly dropped when I saw the couple as they walked over to us, standing a few feet in front of my parents. "Calvin, Sorina," the man said welcomingly. He was easily six feet tall, buff and skinny at the same time. His perfectly sculpted face was mesmerizing; with short curly brown hair and deep chocolate brown eyes. His wife was even more beautiful. Slim like an underwear model, she had the perfect body. Her dark hair cascaded down her back in effortless curls, and her light blue eyes stood out against her olive skin like the first flower on a dead tree in spring.

"Hello, Eduardo, and Ava," My dad said nodding at each of them. My mom and Ava smiled at each other warily, and Eduardo didn't make eye contact with my mother, nor did she make eye contact with him. "We're so pleased to be here."

Ava turned to me, and gasped. "Good Lord..." she said, her voice thick with Spanish accent. She moved forward to me, cupping my face in one of her hands gently. "You are beautiful..." she said, looking intently at my face and figure. "You will make beautiful grandchildren with my son."

"Oh my God..." Armando said, trying to hold back laughter. I said nothing, as a hot, burning blush swept over my face and an ice cold sensation spread through my stomach as I realized, once again that I'd be married to someone I didn't know.