"Why would you think I needed to be checked on?" I inquired with a bit of a bite to my words. Eliza looked at me surprised at my tone, instead of commenting on it, she shook her head and smiled.

            "I went to a party about a week ago, it was just on the outskirts of the university in Wallbury. It don't normally go to high school parties, but I know the kid who threw the parties older brother, so my friends and I went. I saw you there, a few times, but you were preoccupied. And then, um, I went out front to get some air and, well..." She paused taking a moment to gaze at me. "I saw what happened between you and your girlfriend."

            "Oh," I squeaked out. A bark sounded in front of me and I found Misty with a ball in her mouth. I took it and gave it a nice throw sending the dog running again.

            "Yeah, so I wanted to check up on you, see if there was anything you needed," Eliza offered a smile. "A hug, advice, a shoulder to cry on, or anything else that would fulfill your needs," Her sultry voice made my head whip to the side as my face heated up. Flustered, I could only sputter incoherent mumbles in response.

            "I, that's very...um," I babbled and Eliza smirked at me.

            "Just think about it, I'm here for whatever you need." And with that, Eliza sauntered away, her hips swaying in a hypnotizing motion. I watched with my mouth agape. When she first spoke I was expecting pity and some crappy advice. I was taken aback by the boldness of her words, but a huge part of me wanted to take her up on her offers. I could use a third party outsider to talk to and possibly do more than talk. Heat spread throughout my body at the thought. I mentally scolded myself for being so willing to jump into a sexual encounter so shortly after Sawyer. But Eliza was sweet and caring, plus she offered. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad to remind myself that there are other people out there that can give me what Sawyer had. Not necessarily emotionally, but also physically.

            A bark snapped me out of my head again, this time Misty looked impatient. I peeked at my phone for the time and realized we had been out here too long. Swiftly I hopped off the fence and leashed Misty back up to lead her into her cage. I was about to head into the daycare to help my coworkers with the customers dogs when a crackle from the sound system came overhead.

            "Emery Davis please report to Mrs. Briggs office." Even though I knew it wasn't in trouble, I felt a nervous sensation in the pit of my stomach. I made my way over to that corner of the building attempting to reassure myself that nothing was wrong. When I reached the office I knocked gingerly on the wooden door.

            "Come on in, Emery," Mrs. Briggs voice called. I stepped through the doorway and stopped in my spot. "This is the new hire I was telling you about, dear. This is Violet McKinnon." I stared at the girl sitting in front of Mrs. Briggs. Her body was turned around in her seat, a stony look on her face. Her red hair framed her face perfectly and her green eyes were striking against her pale skin. I had a difficult time reading her. Violet kept herself composed as we stared at each other.

            "We've met," Violet stated.

            "Um, yeah, Misty kind of tackled her earlier," I rubbed the back of my neck embarrassed because I had let the leash slip through my fingers. Mrs. Briggs chuckled causing a confused expression to appear on my face.

            "Misty is a handful, quite the energy with that one. Don't worry Violet, that doesn't happen often," Mrs. Briggs sent Violet a kind smile. "Anyway, I wanted to introduce you two properly now that you will be working closely together. Violet won't be starting until tomorrow, but she will be in your care, Emery."

            "You got it, boss," I said with a grin. Violet sat silently watching us like a hawk. I was aware of her eyes on me and I observed her scanning my whole body. Her eyes reached mine at last just as stony as they had been this whole time. "Do you want me to show her around the complex?"

            "Yes, that would be lovely, thank you." I nodded at Mrs. Briggs before gesturing for Violet to follow me out of the office. We walked silently out of the office area and toward the reception desk.

"What made you decide to work here?" I asked.

            "I need the money," She answered monotonously. I wanted to push further, but the tone of her voice deterred me. The only sound around us was the echo of our feet hitting the floor. The girl seemed to have no care in the world and no emotions. I had never seen anyone so stoic before in my life. If she were to play a game of poker she would surely win. I tried to not let it bother me, but I was typically good at reading people and she was a mystery. Her eyes were void of emotion, her voice bored, and her movements were robotic as if she was just going through the motions. "Well, are you going to give me a tour, or just stare at me all day?" Embarrassed once again, I smiled sheepishly.

            "Sorry, let's get this over with, shall we?" I opened the door to the shelters pods and gestured for her to go in.

            An hour later we had finished the tour and it wasn't completely atrocious, but it was awkward. She barely gave me a response to anything I said and only grunted every so often. It was incredibly frustrating to have to keep going even though I knew she didn't care at all. I wanted to yell I was so frustrated. Barks N' Recreation's had been my home away from home. It was the one place I felt pride in. At home I was the other twin, the less talented twin. Here, at work, I was just Emery. Emery who knew the complex like the back of her hand. Emery who could always be counted on to complete tasks. Emery who was indispensable. But Violet was so flippant. She didn't pay any mind to the dogs or what buildings we were going into. She didn't ask questions or even acknowledge that I was speaking. She simply stared at me with a blank expression. When we had finally made our way to the reception desk she left with a curt, "See you tomorrow," and walked out the door. I didn't know what was going on with this girl, and a part of me didn't want to bother to find out. But there was another part of me that was curious; that wanted to solve the enigmatic puzzle that was Violet McKinnon.