17-Hell

(How am I doing? Please comment what I am messing up on, what I need to work on or something I should be aware of? More imagery? Dialog? Inside thoughts of Monroe? What do you think about a chapter in Ashton's perspective?)

Tomorrow is the talent show, and oh lord am I terrified. It's a very beautiful night with the frigid air breathing life into my lungs, it's fresh but stale. It isn't like summer where the breeze exudes nature, the aroma of flowers and grass with the sunlight pouring onto the concrete beneath your feet. No, winter is a harsh season. Summer is a caramel, its warm and smooth while winter is a peppermint, it's sharp and when you inhale to much it starts to burn your nose and lungs but it leaves a fresh feeling behind. 

Digging into my pocket I pull out a blue toothpick and pop it into my mouth. Ashton bought me these a few days ago, colored toothpicks instead of the normal ones. I slightly smile at the thought and when he gave me it he seemed so happy with himself like a child presenting a picture they drew in kindergarten to his parents. 

Tomorrow is the talent show. I try to take a deep breath but a shuttering inhale is all I get in. Looking around I try to figure out what street I'm on, trying to get my mind off of the thought. Raising my eyebrows I realize that I am on Ashton's street, his neighborhood just a block away. Taking a sharp right I walk towards his house,shoving my hands in my jacket. Silently walking through the neighborhood I realize that Ashton lives in a nice place, not like crazy mansion rich but not really normal. 

A loud boom explodes through the night. My stomach lurches into my throat and I jump to the other side of the sidewalk. Suddenly my heart is beating against my chest faster than a bullet. Whipping my head the source I roll my eyes at my luck. Ashton sits on his front porch steps with his head in his hands, obviously pissed about something. The door rips open and his mother storms out.

"Mom for the love of God just go back inside." He snaps at her.

"Don't you dare speak to me like that Ashton Jay." She says rather harshly, slapping him upside his head with such a force it makes a dull thud that sounds so painful I wince "I am tired of you and your shit attitude, I do nothing but provide for you over and over. I do nothing but make sure you have what you need and do almost everything you want."

Ashton angrily sits with his arms dangling on his knees, but with the look on his face, a mix of confusion, awestruck and anger I can't help but wonder if that's the first time she's done that. 

"You know what no I am tired of you mom. I am so damn tired of coming home with you already pissed and yelling at me when I forget to do the dishes before going to school or taking the dishes out of my room because you know I have a fucking hard time remembering things yet you refuse to get it checked out even though I ask you every single damn day to look into it."

What? Memory problems?

"Don't you dare turn this on me, you are a teenager it isn't forgetfulness its laziness. Better yet if you are so tired of me yelling at you why don't you do what I ask when I ask you to do it..."

"Because you ask me in the morning and I have to go to school." Ashton cuts her off and abruptly shoots up, walking into the yard just a bit before spinning around and pointing his finger at her "I hate you. I gave you the benefit of the doubt for so long." His voice starts to get hoarse "I know your job is stressful and it's heavy stuff but but I just I..." He stutters until letting out a low growl "You are just so pissed at everyone for everything they do. I can literally fucking breath wrong  and I am suddenly being lectured for an hour. I hate you. I despise you." His voice cracks and he sounds as though his heart has just cracked in two "And the sad thing is I love you at the same time. But I can't do this. I hate the sight of you and the sound of your voice." Ashton raises his voice but still a thick coat of pain is in his voice "Goodbye mom."

And with that Ashton marches off of the lawn and into the street, walking towards the main road as though nothing could stop him.

His mom strangles out a weird noise before turning around and going into the house.

What in the hell just happened. Whipping my head to Ashton his dark silhouette disappears around the corner and I am left standing on his street alone. 

The poor boy is so lost. And I can't do anything about it.

Slowly I turn around towards home with so many thoughts running in my head I start to sprint down the sidewalk, releasing all of the power built up inside me that could have been used for good or bad. My feet are drums against the concrete and the sweet melody of my heavy breathing fills my ears,and soon I can't think of anything else but how good this feels. 

-------

"You're going to do so well tonight Monroe!" Allison hisses out as she grabs Ashton's hand and heads towards the cafeteria.

I hate her.

Struggling out a smile I politely nod my head when Ashton snaps his fingers "Oh, dammit. I have to go back and get something, save me a spot eh?" With a quick peck to the cheek he turns on his heel back towards his locker.

It is dead silence between us. Clearing my throat she lets out a long sigh "I'm guessing by now you have figured out that I am the one who threw that soda on you the other day."

I drop the girl next door act and snap my head towards her with hatred burning in my eyes, she gives an almost sad smirk in reply "Yes, yes I did. It was an accident dear Monroe." She tilts her head, sighing as she looks ahead at nothing in particular "I used to like you, really I did. But then I realized something. Something quite horrible on your part."

Wrinkling my nose I too look ahead with no emotion in my face except for a snarl daring to show "You like Ashton, yet I am dating him and he is dating me. So whore how about you back off before I make you life a living hell."

A sick chuckle erupts from my throat and I cock my head back to her "Try me." I say with a tilted head and a grin.

She smiles and in one swift motion slaps me across the face. My eye starts to tear up as a tingling sensation prickles through my cheek. Allison frantically looks around, checking for Ashton probably, swooping her head back to my level she spits into my ear "There's a lot more where that came from. And Ashton will listen to me, not you Freak."

I abruptly stop, looking at Allison walk ahead with a dead stare. Freak. I scoff to myself, scolding myself for ever thinking I could make friends. I trusted her. And she calls me this. 

Taking a deep breath I march towards the cafeteria, wondering what hells I will endure after my performance tonight.