40

The younger Salvatores hadn't disturbed Rio for the next two days. Rio understood why Stefan wouldn't talk to him but Damon? He was sure his brothers were up to something. He was proved right when Damon called.
"Dearest older brother." He began.
"What do you need, Demon?"
"Your presence at the Mikaelson Manor. Stefan and I are having a civilised dinner with Klaus and Elijah to broker a treaty."
"Elijah's awake? About time. Yeah, I'll be there."
"Alright, see you there at about 7."
"See ya, brother."

"Are you sure you don't want to come?" Rio asked his wife again.
"Well you need to go so you can try to stop them from killing each other. Anya won't go because there's no one her age there. And Rebekah won't be there either, so I'd be the only girl. Which is fine it's just that Klaus, Elijah, you, no humanity Stefan-" Charlie was cut off.
"He's got it on the dimmer switch now."
"Same thing, and Damon who basically hates all things Originals doesn't seem fun. It sounds like a disaster already happening."
"Suit yourselves." Rio rolled his eyes. "I have to go now, I'll see you tonight. Or tomorrow. We'll see how it goes."

"Niklaus, our guests have arrived." Elijah called into the house as he opened the door.
"Rio." Klaus nodded. "Damon. Stefan. Elijah tells me, you seek an audience. Very bold. Let's discuss the terms of our agreement like civilised men, shall we?"
"Well, if you know what it's like to be civil." Stefan rolled his eyes. Klaus led the younger brothers inside whilst Elijah stood back.
"Hello Rio."
"Elijah. You look much better. And alive."
"Funny. No Charlotte?"
"Oh yes. Right- you missed it all. We found Anya."
"Anya who?"
"Anya as in Lottie's daughter."
"Didn't she die?"
"Nope. It's a long story."
"We've got to catch up sometime soon."
"Yes, of course." The two walked deeper into the house to the dining room. There was a table set and two female servants stood to the side.
"It's better to indulge him."
"I didn't come here to eat, Klaus. Fact, I didn't want to come here at all. But I was told I had to cause you would hear us out."
"Manners, Stefan." Rio said to his little brother.
"Well, we can sit and eat or I can reach down your throats and pull out your insides. The choice is yours." Rio gave Elijah a look.
"Manners, Klaus." Elijah reprimanded. They sat down at the table and started eating. Well except for Stefan who sat cross. One of the servants started pouring wine.
"Thank you, love." Damon replied.
"Since when do you say love?" Rio questioned. "Stefan eat."
"I'm not a dog." Stefan frowned.
"No but I am your older brother."
"You lost your appetite?" Klaus asked.
"Eat. I thought we agreed that we would leave the grumpy Stefan at home." Damon joined in. Stefan finally listened.
"Interesting." Was all Klaus said on the subject, before he moved on. "That's the spirit. Isn't it nice? Four of us dining together? Such a treat. Is this what you had in mind when you pulled the dagger from my brother?"
"Well, I know how he felt about you, so I figured the more, the merrier." 
"Kind of like you and Rebekah, right? Where is she, by the way? Last I checked she was still daggered because you were afraid to face her." Stefan said with an attitude.
"If you're referring to the fact that Rebekah knows I killed our mother, I've already come clean to Elijah."
"Hey, Stef, remember when you killed dad? Might want to dial down the judgement until dessert."
"We're here to make a deal, Damon. Doesn't mean we need to kiss his ass for seven courses." He gave a fake smile.
"I'm just saying we have a long evening ahead of us. Pace yourself."
"So Klaus, earlier you commented 'Interesting'. What is it that you found so fascinating?" Damon asked.
"Just that Stefan listened to you, and not Rio. Things seem tense- is everything okay?"
"You don't have to pretend like you care." Stefan remarked. "You'd rather Rio hated us. No competition over who he cares about most."
"Boys, boys. There is no competition." Rio smirked. "No need to fight over me."
"So who would you choose?"
"I wouldn't."
"So." Elijah said breaking the silence before someone could say something. "Stefan. Where is the lovely Elena tonight?"
"I don't know. Ask Damon." Klaus laughed out loud.
"I'm sorry, you've missed so much. Ah, trouble in paradise." He explained.
"One more word about Elena and this dinner's over." Stefan threatened. Klaus put a finger to his lips, conceding.
"You know what, probably best just to keep Elena in the do-not-discuss pile." Damon nodded.
"You're probably right."
"Yeah." Damon replied.
"It's just the allure of the Petrova doppelgänger, still so strong. What do you say, brother? Should we tell them about Tatia?"
"Now why should we discuss matters long since resolved?"
"Well, given their shared affection for both Elena and Katerina, I think our guests might be curious to learn about the originator of the Petrova line."
"Go along with it, Klaus wants to show off the fact that you guys got over it."
"Well, we're not going anywhere Elijah. Please, do tell."
"When our family first settled here, there was a girl named Tatia. She was an exquisite beauty. Every boy of age desired to be her suitor, even though she'd had a child by another man. And none loved her more than Niklaus." Elijah began.
"I'd say there was one who loved her at least as much."
"Wait a minute. So you both loved the same girl?" Stefan was surprised.
"Our mother was a very powerful witch. She sought to end our feud over Tatia and so she took her. Klaus and I would later learn that it was Tatia's blood that we consumed in the wine on the night where our mother performed the spell which turned us into vampires. Tatia wouldn't make a decision between the two of us, so for a time Niklaus and I...grew estranged. Harsh words were traded, we even came to blows, didn't we, brother?"
"But in the end we realized the sacred bond of family."
"Family above all." Elijah cheered as he and Klaus raised their glasses.
"Family above all." Klaus replied.
"And I thought I was supposed to be the cheesy one." Rio rolled his eyes.
"You are the cheesy one." Elijah and Klaus both said at the same time.
"Alright, alright. I get it." 
"So, why don't we move this evening along and discuss the terms of this proposal?" Elijah started.
"That's very simple. Klaus gets his coffin back, in exchange, he and the Original extended family leave Mystic Falls forever. Me, Stefan, and Elena live happily ever after. No grudges. Rio can stay if he wants."
"The deal sounds fair, brother."
"I don't think you understand. Elena's doppelgänger blood insures that I will always have more hybrids to fight those that oppose me. I will never leave her behind." Klaus stood and began to pace.
"Here we go."
"Let's say I do leave her here, under your protection, what then? How long before one of you turns her into a vampire? Or worse, how long before she dies caught between your feuding? You see, each one of you truly believes that you're the one that can protect her, and that is simply a delusion. Gentlemen, the worst thing for Elena Gilbert is...the two of you." Damon looked over at his brothers.
"I'm gonna get some air." He said.
"Let me deal with this." Elijah said following Damon out.
"Elijah." Rio said before he left the room. He turned around.
"Yes?" Rio gave him a look, which he deciphered as 'Don't hurt my brother.' He nodded at Rio in understanding.