29

Cassidy’s POV

Thursday

“Cassidy, we have to make sure you’re doing okay before we leave to train.” Melody sits next to me after putting a glass of water and some pills on the counter near my bed. “These pills will help release the pain and strengthen the bones.” I remain silent, looking forward. “We didn’t realize we had a statue friend.” I hear Bella say, though I can’t see her. “Leave her alone, Bella.” Her twin sister tries to rescue me. I heard the door opens and shuts. “What is it with her?” Melody questions. “Never mind her.” Emma brushes it off.

“Cassidy, please.” She hands me the glass and a couple of pills; which I finally take in. “Thank God.” She sighs. I wear a half smile on my lips. She heads towards her jacket and then towards the door. “Can I go with you?” I startle her as she was just about to head outside. She looks at me, like you don’t know the answer, her eyes say. “Just for observation.” I beg; without actually begging. She sighs very loudly, grabs my jacket, and throws it in my face. “Just stand by, not looking for trouble today.” I hear her voice before a slammed door. I remove the jacket from over my face and wear it, then tighten the bandage on my ankle before I head outside following Melody.

………………………………………………

“What the freak, Melody!” Alex freaks out when he sees me sitting on the bench. “She’s just here for a show, Alex. Don’t worry, she won’t play.” Melody reassures him. “Like hell she won’t.” He lets out an angry sigh, while I let out a breath I didn’t know I was holding. He looks at me. I roll my eyes, just to NOT look at him.

“Okay girls, just a reminder that the competition is rather small and quick since it is between us only, not the other camps. It will include a verbal test about general camping knowledge and survival techniques. It will include a running track for two of you. And archery; which is our day’s and tomorrow’s lesson.” He says in a very coach-y way, walking with his hands tied into a knot behind his back. He even has his sunglasses on.

“There’s the target right there. Now everyone, get a bow and an arrow from that basket over there.” After what’s said, Alex heads towards me, while the girls get their equipment from the basket. “Here… it’s for the sun.” He hands me his sunglasses and a casket he was hiding in his back pocket. “I’ll get you a bottle of water in a bit.” I examine the given items and look at him deeply. “What about you?” I ask. “I’m living life on the edge.” He winks at me.

“Okay girls… Archery is very simple. It’s not rocket science, so I expect you to win this.” The girls nod. Alex grabs his bow and arrow from the bench beside me and walks toward the team. “First, you have to study the posture. Right handed archers hold the bow with the left hand, so with your left side toward the target, stand at a right angle to the target. Your feet should be shoulder's width apart, straddling the shooting line. Stand straight and tall, balanced, with ribs down, shoulders down and relaxed.” They all obey and try to mimic the perfect posture from Alex’s head.

“Very good. Second, the nock, finger and hand placement. Nock arrow UNDER the nocking point on the string. Listen for the sound of a "snap" as arrow connects to the string. Index feather AWAY from the bow.” They try to follow.

“Third, hook string and place bow hand. Place your fingers in a way, that you "hook" the string with your index finger above the nock, and middle and ring finger under the nock. Do not use little finger. Hook the string at the first groove. Make sure to maintain a deep hook. Set your bow hand on the grip on the inside of your life line, on the meaty part of your thumb. Thumb points toward target. Nock arrow UNDER the nocking point on the string. Listen for the sound of a "snap" as arrow connects to the string. Relax your fingers. The back of your hand should make an angle of 45 degrees.”

“Fourth, set up. Bring the bow arm to shoulder height -keep shoulders DOWN. The elbow of the bow arm is turned away from the string. Fifth, drawing the bow. Draw the string along the bow arm in a straight horizontal line to the anchor point on your face. Draw with your back muscles, moving the shoulder blades towards each other. Stand straight up and relaxed. Keep both shoulders as low as possible. Sixth, aim. Aim at full draw, by settling the sight ring onto the target. Maintain the connection of drawing hand to the face. You should see the string line up on the top bow limb exactly at the same place each time and appear a little right of the sight ring. Keep the sight at the target. The string lines up on the top bow limb and sight EXACTLY at the same place each time. Last but not least, release. Keep pulling the shoulder blades towards each other, while relaxing the fingers of the draw hand.”

Melody got the 80 points, while Emma got slightly lower by 20 points, and lastly there was Bella who only got 40 points. Alex marches towards the targets and collects their ammos. He returns to the basket and throws them in it, then gets three arrows for the three-membered team. He sits next to me on the bench after giving the girls new arrows. He sits there for a second then quickly gets up. I watch as his legs rush towards the small canteen near us and charges the man for a dozen of water bottles. He walks along the row of the standing girls and places two bottles of water on the ground beside their feet. He moon-walks towards me, facing his front to the girls. “We will be here all day, practicing non-stop. Bella, focus!” He shouts and stops when he reaches he bench. “I got you a bottle of water, you don’t want to be hit by the sun.” I accept the bottle and take a huge gulp of it. I thank him when finished. “Just for observation?” he questions, facing forward. “Just for observation.” I reassure him.

Not really.