Chapter 2- Tamzin

The morning awakened. Tamzin hadn't managed to get any sleep. The winter light forced it's way into her room, beckoning her into rise. Tamzin could hear her parents in the living room. She knows that they feel the same as she does. It won't be long before she chooses. Tamzin looked into her own hazel eyes through the mirror in her room.
"Tonight!" She said to her reflection. "Tonight, you can do anything."
There was a know at her bedroom door. The rapping was followed by Olly's voice. "Tamzin? Are you up?"
Tamzing responded by opening the door. "I didn't sleep." She said, nursing a brewing headache.
"Maybe some breakfast will keep you awake." He suggested. Tamzin answered with a painful nod and led the way to the kitchen.
On the wooden table in front of her was already some toast and a mug of tea. Her mother gestured to it and went back to cooking something in a frying pan for Olly.
Tanzin listened to the sizzle of the meat. Its odour overpowering that of the burning toast that was still cooking. She pulled her pieces of toast into bite-size pieces. After putting one of these in her dry mouth and while chewing it excessively, she continued ripping the bread apart, watching her tea give off wisps of steam.
"I can't eat this." She said after swallowing her current piece of toast with a whole cup of hot tea. Tamzin's parents reacted by exchanging a look of concern with each other.

...

Tamzin followed her Father out of the Mayors house. He looked upset.
"Are you okay, Father?" She asked.
"Yes darling." Olly answered. "What did Monica say?"
"She was telling me to brave and that the Implant doesn't hurt. I think she would like to speak to you though. You should go and see her."
"So wise!" Olly said sadly. "I'll talk to her later. I promise."
The two met Tamzin's mother near the gate to the Obelisk.
Tamzin felt like this was a goodbye. A final farewell. She hugged both of her parents, telling them to stay safe and she loved them.
Tamzin started her first walk down that long and lonely runway. She looked back from inside the shadows. Her parents were waving. Olly even wiped his eyes. She gave a slight wave back, then continued her journey into the Obelisk lobby.

A scientist was waiting. He greeted her, kindly and showed her downstairs to the procedure rooms.
"Do you know which faction you would like to join?" He asked her.
Tamzin nearly said Implant. Instead her voice let out a different word. "No."
"Would you like to know about each one?"
"I know all about them. I just can't decide." Tamzin said. "They all have their uses."
"Would you like to speak to an advisor to help you choose one best for you?"
Tamzin nodded.
The scientist asked her take a seat outside a procedure room, while he picked up a receiver from the wall opposite. Tamzin tried hear the conversation.
"I need a consult for this child... Stone, Tamzin... Implant... Thank you professor." He hung up. And turned back to Tamzin. "Professor Stein is going to come and help you decide." He told her.
Tamzin nodded in polite acknowledgement. She heard about Stein. He was threatened by Monica but no one said why. He allowed the factions to unite and he looks after everyone. Why does Monica hate a person like that?

Another scientists came into the waiting area. It must have been Stein. Tamzin expected an old grey man, unshaven and almost bald. Instead he wore a silk lined robes and soft, young skin. His fading blue eyes met with Tamzin's deep hazel ones.
"Miss Stone." He greeted. "I'm professor Stein. Founder and leader of the Scientists in this Obelisk."
"Hi." Tamzin greeted politely, shaking Stein's hand.
"I understand you are having trouble choosing your faction." Tamzin nodded. "How would you like to join the Scientists and hone all of our abilities? We have a place in the Obelisk that needs to be filled. None of our young ones are ready for that responsibility."
"Do you think I am?"
"Of course! You've been brought up with the best your home faction has produced. It's only fair that you are given a position to help them in return."
Tamzin agreed. "I'd like to help them."
Stein put a reassuring hand on the child's shoulder. "Be brave." He said, and left her to undergo the procedure for implant, before taking the drugs to turn her into Bloodlust and Luna as well.
After the procedure, Tamzin will be trained under Stein and the other scientists, learning how to create the drugs they use. Learning how to engineer food and how to fight and master her new powers.