Chapter 2

He removes his scarf, breathing in the fresh air. It's still tainted with the remnants of the sandstorm that just passed. He takes a small sip from his canteen and then sets off again. He heads south into the morning heat feeling the sweat already dripping down his marked arms. The sun rises from the south now. He was told once, as a child by the old ones that it was once different. The whole of this land different in another lifetime. Now the land is scorched with little life. With a sparse handful of towns and various outposts scattered throughout this barren continent.

He pulls the straps of his satchel tighter, feeling the old horsehair through his dirty shirt. He wraps the scarf around his face once more, the dusty sand invading his nostrils. He walks again through day and night, his legs feeling good from the strain. He climbs over a dune and sees a faint light to the east, it glows like a beacon in the surrounding dusk.

"Finally," he mumbles. "A decent meal for you tonight, me thinks." He closes his eyes, making them water at the sides, the tears almost dry as they reach his cheeks. He takes another step feeling the tiredness in his legs as his body start to relax. He pushes on, his mouth watering at the thought of tearing into a fresh meal. Trudging down the dune, his feet sinking up to his knees, he strains his muscles as he pulls them through. He reaches the bottom hitting solid ground. He twists and crunches his feet feeling the smaller rocks and sand through his boots. He sets off again on a much flatter route joining an old worn in path heading straight for the town...

Thanks for reading