Chapter 11

Four weeks later, Lisbon had reached the twelve week mark; true to his word, Jane hadnt left her side the whole time. At work, she had accepted running the team from the office without too many questions been asked; as she woke up in his arms, she nestled her head into his shoulder as he switched the alarm off. They had a rare three days off and were planning on spending the time together; today, they were going to her check up before going for lunch and then hang out back at Lisbon's.

"Time to wake up" he murmured, running his fingers through her hair.

"Go away" she groaned, trying to turn over.

"You have your appointment this morning" he reminded her. "You get to hear the heartbeat again"

"I'm tired" she moaned, opening her eyes to look at him.

"I know; it's been a long week but we have three days off now for the weekend. The team know to call Cho if a case comes in; lets get the appointment out the way and lunch and then we'll come home and you can rest"

"No" she said, firmly as she closed her eyes again.

"Why not?"

She sighed and opened her eyes once more to look at him, he could see the fear in them.

"What are you scared of? You get to hear the heartbeat"

"What if somethings wrong?"

"We'll deal with it but we won't know unless we go; I'm gonna be right there with you, I promise" he said, taking her hand and resting one on her cheek. "I'll make you some breakfast while you get ready"

"I'm not hungry"

"Will you try?"

Instead of answering his question, she quickly ran to her ensuite; when she emerged ten minutes later, he face was pale and she was shaken.

"What's wrong?" He asked, standing in front of her and taking her hands.

"I'm bleeding" she whispered through her tears.

"Okay, We'll go now; it'll be okay"

Seeing Lisbon quickly starting to panic, he helped her into her sneakers and one of his hoodies before quickly throwing something on himself; at the doctors office, he held her close as he explained to the receptionist before been ushered into an empty room. As her doctor checked her over, he stood and her head and held Lisbon's hand tight, brushing away the tears and whispering reassuring words; hearing a strong heartbeat filling the room, he let out a sigh of relief as Lisbon struggled to hold back the tears again.

"Teresa" the doctor started as she moved to sit next to her. "Everything is fine, a bit of spotting is normal; there's a strong heartbeat. Your blood pressure is a little high again which is understandable but I would recommend having a quiet weekend; get some rest and listen to what your body is telling you"

Lisbon nodded as she wiped the gel off her stomach and sat up.

"I'll see you again in two weeks but any problems, come and see me. Try not to worry, as I said, everything is okay"

As Lisbon stood up and took the papers off her doctor, Jane took her hand and squeezed it tightly; sitting back in the car, she leaned her head back against the headrest and yawned.

"Why don't we pick up some breakfast and head back?" He suggested from the drivers side.

"I'm sorry" she whispered a short while later as they were lying in the bed after eating.

"For what?" He asked, running his fingers through her hair as she rest her head on his chest.

"This morning"

"You were scared, it's understandable but you heard what she said, everything is fine"

"I know"

"Get some rest; I'll be in the other room if you need me"

"Stay" she said, holding onto him as she drifted off.

When she awoke a few hours later, she was alone in the bed with only the bear for company; holding it close, she rested a hand on her stomach.

"You gave mommy a scare this morning; I didn't realise how much I wanted this until I thought I'd lost it all. I'm going to do everything I can to meet you; for you...and your daddy"

"I thought I heard you wake" Jane said as he entered the room and sat on the bed, handing her a mug of tea. "Feeling better?"

"Mmm; how long was i out?"

"Couple of hours; can i get you anything else?" He asked as she carefully snuggled against him.

"No; I really want this Jane" she said, resting a hand on her stomach.

"And you will" he reassured, placing his own hand upon hers. "Listen to what the doctor tells you to do; rest and take it easy when you need to"

"I will...I think...I might take some leave"

"For how long?"

"I don't know; I can't lose it. This morning, lying on that bed and waiting for the doctor to tell me the worse, I blamed myself; I've been so unsure of myself about keeping it but...I want a family Jane. I want someone to come home to; I want to look back on my life and not miss out on things because I'm so focused on work. I'll call Minelli later..."

"Why don't you take the weekend to think about it?"

"No, I need to do this; i need to keep my baby safe"

"Okay"

As she made the call, he held her close until she hung up and looked up at him.

"What did he say?" He asked.

"4 weeks holiday approved, then see how I feel; if I'm not ready, I'll have to take unpaid leave until my maternity starts"

"What will you do with all the time?"

"Rest, maybe go and see Tommy and Annie for a few days; think you can stay out of trouble while I'm gone?" She asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I'll try" he smirked. "How about some lunch?"

"What are you making?"

"You'll see, come on"

Taking her hand, he led her to the dining table where a simple but tasty looking soup and two lit candles were waiting; in the background, music was playing softly.

"What's this?" She asked.

"A chance for you to relax properly; you need to eat something. Let's eat this and then we'll watch a movie..."

She couldn't help but smile as they took their seats and started eating; the carrot and coriander soup was both warming and delicious, and exactly what she needed.

"Thank you"

"For What?"

"Always knowing what I need"