Part 2

It was only Wes's sudden yank on my pack that left me with a smarting rear end, rather than a deadly fall. I landed firmly in a sitting position, my hands trembling from adrenaline.

We stayed quiet for precious seconds, before Wes stated, "Lieutenant, I would suggest that we move at a more prudent pace."

"You are absolutely correct." My voice was raw, and Wes helped me to my feet. I moved with measured caution from then on, ensuring that each step was on hard ground. We caught the occasional glimpse of our pursuers, but the winding path frequently hid the troops. An hour or more passed before we reached the apex, the air thin enough to make breathing difficult.

The path culminated in rough-hewn stone stairs that seemed massively out of place in the organic landscape of the isolated mountain. A stone ring, two dozen yards in diameter, surrounded a strangely peaceful courtyard atop the stairs. A thin layer of snow covered every surface, enhancing the ethereal aesthetic of the clearing. Mediterranean-type columns circled the far surface of the ring, where the mountain continued for another thirty feet before terminating in a razor sharp point. In contrast, roughly carved stones inlaid with Nordic runes were scattered about the clearing. A large circular stone sat at the terminus of the pillars, set into the side of the peak. The entire area was noticeably warmer than the rest of the mountain due to lack of wind, which left the courtyard balmy. I noted with surprise that the snow settling around the pillars was actually melting, albeit very slowly. I pulled the scarf away from my mouth, removing the slitted snow blinds from my eyes. Wes followed suit, pushing back the hood of his parka.

"Damn," he cursed, slowly looking about the courtyard. I knelt next to one of the roughly carved rune stones, giving him a sideways glance. "I owe the major ten francs. I bet him that there would be nothing up here but more snow."

"I wouldn't bet against the major," I laughed, pushing myself back up to my feet. The air was heavier inside of the courtyard, easier to breathe. It was like being back at sea level. "Particularly when he thinks something weird is around."

"So I am learning," Wes grumbled with good nature, coming to a stop in front of the circular stone. He carefully removed one of his gloves, rapping a knuckle against the center of it. "Do you think we can open it?"

"I think we're going to try," I mused, cramming my removed gloves into my pockets. I ran my bare fingertips along the surface of the stone, searching for any seam or break in the smooth expanse. Finding none, I took a step back and scanned the surrounding mountain side. It was similarly featureless, causing me to frown deeply. "We don't have enough time to be dealing with a puzzle."

"Maybe it isn't a puzzle," Wes said, scratching at the stubble on his cheek. "Mightn't we need a key?"

"If I climbed this entire mountain for nothing, because of bad intelligence, I'm going to be very angry," I fumed, slamming the tip of my boot against the stone in a sharp kick.

"Best be careful, Chance," Wes said, amused. "The Norse gods weren't known for responding well to violence."

"He'd have to open the door to come after me, wouldn't he?" I shot back, stepping to the center of the courtyard. "Check around for some sort of mechanism. We must be missing something."

"You usually are, Miss Masters." Along with the voice came an amused chuckle from the lifted rim of the clearing. Reinhardt Schuntzel, dressed in a thick gray snow suit and surrounded by men with serious climbing equipment, stood at the top of the stairs. His platinum blond hair was barely visible from beneath the hood of his jacket, and his small, round glasses fogged noticeably as he entered the courtyard. I pawed at my parka, falling back behind one of the pillars as I tried to get my Colt from my thick jacket. Schuntzel gave an exasperated sigh and stepped down into the courtyard. "Oh, put it away, Lieutenant. Is it really necessary that we go through that song and dance again?"