Chapter 1

August 9th, 1777
Coryell's Ferry, New Jersey

John Laurens' heart raced as the carriage bounced along the dirt roads. His palms had already acquired a decent amount of perspiration, and they shook with anticipation. He gazed at the passing scenery.

His father, sitting opposite of him in the carriage, put a hand on his son's knee. "Excited, son?" he asked.

John bit his lip and nodded. Sure, he was excited, but also the most nervous he'd ever been in his entire life.

"Try to relax your mind. I know you are  enthusiastic, but you mustn't act too frazzled when we arrive."

John hummed in agreement. His father didn't need to tell him that he mustn't ruin this opportunity. John knew that for himself.

Suddenly, the carriage came to a halt. "I believe we have arrived," Henry Laurens said to his son.

John stepped out of the carriage and took in the sight before him. The camp was set up in a meadow surrounded by woods. Small tents were set up everywhere, one tent significantly larger than the rest. That must be General Washington's tent, Laurens thought.

The camp was filled with people of all kinds. Black and white, tall and short, scrawny and stout. They were wearing everything from military uniforms to hunting shirts. 

A broad shouldered man in a uniform approached the Laurens's. "You must be Mr. Laurens," he said, looking at John. "And his father," he looked at Henry. "I'm Benjamin Tallmadge. The General is just finishing up some business that needed to be taken care of and will be with you shortly. Come, follow me."

Benjamin Tallmadge led the two other men through the camp until they approached the large tent John had noticed before. Tallmadge opened the flap of the tent and called inside. "Your excellency? Mr. Laurens and his father have arrived."

A tall, dark man with a stern expression stepped out of the tent. "John Laurens, welcome. And Henry, how wonderful it is to see you again."

Henry held out his hand, and Washington shook it. "Jack's very excited to begin," he said.

"I'm glad to hear it," Washington said. "We'll make good use out of strong boys like him. John, if you'd like to say goodbye to your father, we can get you settled in with the other soldiers."

John glanced at his father, who pulled him into a quick embrace. "Go fight for our arising nation with the lion's heart you have," he said. "Make me proud, son."

"Yes sir," John said.

"Well, I mustn't keep the driver waiting too long. Don't forget to write, Jack."

With that, Henry Laurens climbed back into the carriage and took off. John watched it travel down the winding dirt path.

Washington placed a hand on John's shoulder. "Welcome, John. From now on you'll be known as Private Laurens, that is at least until you move up the ranks. Though you will be serving as an Aides de Camp, you will also get the opportunity to fight on the battlefield. You must be prepared for all circumstances. Your training will start tomorrow. For now, Major Tallmadge will give you a tour of the camp and describe to you what militia life is like. He will also introduce you to the other Aides de Camp and your bunk mates. Private Laurens, are you ready to serve with passion?"

"Yes Sir!" Laurens responded with enthusiasm.

"Alright then. Tallmadge, please begin Private Laurens' tour."