Chapter Six: Pathetic

Start from the beginning

“Thanks,” I mumbled quietly.

Macy said a goodbye to my mother, grabbing her brother’s hand and dragging him with her outside. I walked up to my mother, taking in a deep breath.

“You’ll be fine,” she assured, tilting my chin up, “Just remember, those two are the same old kids that you used to play with when you were little.”

“But I haven’t talked to them in years,” I grumbled.

“You’re a strong girl, Savannah,” she encouraged, “Just talk to them.”

It was the same words Kyla said to me while convincing me to talk to Jasper last night. I was starting to think that I’m not really strong as what everybody makes me think.

She started to pushing me to the door, “Now go out there and be the daughter I took the time to raise,” with one final goodbye, she shoved me outside and slammed the door right in front of my face.

Thanks mom.

“Told you she was coming out.”

I turned around and saw the two siblings sitting at the hood of Jasper’s car. They were smiling up at me, showing that they held no grudge.

A pang of guilt hit me as I thought that I made them wait. I was so scared of this event that I wanted to avoid them when they have been nothing but kind to me.

“You guys mad?” I asked, dreading for their answer.

The truth, I have nothing to be scared of. These two are so nice when I’ve been nothing but rude.

“Of course not,” Macy replied sweetly, “Now come on or we’ll be late for our reservations.”

Jasper rounded the car and slid into the driver’s seat. Macy took my hand and dragged me to the passenger seat where she basically shoved me in there before I can mutter a protest.

“Macy!”

“What?” she questioned innocently, “I’m pretty sure that I’ll be third-wheeling the whole night.”

“Macy!” I yelled, a little more flustered than before. Could this get any more embarrassing?

Jasper merely chuckled beside me, pulling out of my driveway.

They tried to engage me into a conversation but just like I reminded myself earlier, I nodded if I agree and I shook my head if I disagreed.

We immediately got seated in the restaurant and I might say, it was kind of classy in a good way.

I tried to distract myself by staring at the menu. I pretended to choose a meal but all the words were a fuzzy picture.

I wonder what they’re thinking right now. Are they regretting that they invited me?

I can’t even utter a single coherent thought, I’m that pathetic.

“Savannah?” Macy’s voice cut my train of thoughts. I blinked a few times before my eyes focused on my surroundings.

A waiter was standing in front of table, patiently waiting for my order.

Jasper tilted his head to the side, asking me a thousand questions with his eyes. Besides, that was how we used to converse during the duration I stopped talking to him.

“She’ll take the steak, medium well with the side of steamed vegetables,” Jasper recited to the waiter.

The boy nodded, repeated all of our orders before retreating to place our orders.