'Marry her.' John put his hand on Paul's. 'That's the only decent thing you can do.'

Paul shook his head. 'But I don't think I can be a dad.'

'You can.' John nodded. 'You didn't think you could be the bass but here you are.'

After Stuart had left the band Paul had no other option than to be the bass player in the band. He went out and used his wages to buy a fancy left-handed hofner violin bass. It was classy and unique and Paul loved it.

'Thanks John.' Paul said, his tone grateful but still lost. He didn't want a child and he didn't want a wife but he was cornered.

'Maybe something will come up.' John said. 'Perhaps she'll fall for someone else.'

Paul laughed. 'We can only hope.'

***

George stepped into the kitchen and made himself a sandwich. John played with a fork in front of him. He took hold of the pen and started to write.

'I don't think this song is going anywhere.' He admitted defeat and put the pen back into the pot.

George shrugged. 'I can't write music.'

'We need Paul.'

'He's with Dot.' George said.

'Fuck Dot.' John shook his head. 'Poor Paul.' He put his hand to his fore head.

'He got her pregnant.' George took a bite into his sandwich and sat opposite John.

'It doesn't mean he has to be condemned to her for the rest of his life. He's 18.' John spat. 'Fucking bitch.'

'Look, it'll be alright.'

'You reckon?' John looked at George.

'I reckon so, yeah.' George smiled.

***

Dot's eyes were raw, her hair a mess. Paul ran to be by her side and wiped the tears from her eyes. He noticed turmoil take over her mannerisms as she held her stomach in agony.

'You're going to be alright Dot.' He said.

'Are you the Father?' The nurse walked in with a folder tucked in her arm. Paul nodded. 'I'm afraid it's not good news.'

Dot roared from her heart, her screams heard from the corridor. John's heart went into his mouth. Paul walked out of the room, clutching his shirt. He broke down against a wall and sighed. John raced to his side.

'She lost the baby.' Paul cried.

'I'm so sorry, Paul.' John pulled him into a brotherly hug and soothed his back.

'I don't know what I'm supposed to feel.' He sobbed into his friend's shoulder.

'Upset.' John shrugged with a little laugh, trying to lighten the mood.

'I feel relieved.' Paul collapsed into another cry. 'And that makes me such a bad person.'

'No, no it doesn't.' John looked Paul dead in the eyes. 'It makes you human.'

'I - I just lost a child.' Paul cried. 'And all I can think about is when I can end it with her.'

'Paul-' John pushed him up against the wall and placed both his hands on either of Paul's shoulders. 'Stop it.'

'I'm a terrible person. My God-'

'Paul!' He rithed him into the wall. 'Stop it!' John ordered in a strong tone. 'I'd be thinking the same.' He said. 'You can't help your feelings, but for Christ's sake you have to be there for her. She needs you.'