"Yes, Anya Fernster has been renting the apartment for the last three years, and they know each other very well if you know what I'm saying."

Wendon's words made Gregory flinch and stop in his tracks.

"What are you implying?"

"Let's say Xenia; the warrior prefers Oysters and slurping."

"That's ridiculous; those are stupid rumors," Gregory said, resuming his march and entering the restaurant Jaila booked.

"Hey, I didn't make it. I arrived yesterday with you, remember. We can ask Jaila; it's her department."

"Ask me what?" Jaila asked as they arrived at their table.

"Gregory wants to knowㅡ."

"Shut it, Wendon."

Gregory hated when his two friends ganged upon him. As usual, he attempted a diversion.

"How was your night, Jaila?"

"Long, the others think we've joined a sorority; they wanted to go around the bars."

"How about you, Wendon?"

"The place is a palace; it's a penthouse, Gregory. You sure you don't want to go there?"

"No, I'm fine where I am."

"Ah, ah, what are you hiding Gregory, is Mrs. Fernster hot?" Wendon asked, cocking his eyebrows in an enthusiastic motion.

As usual, Gregory didn't shy away. Instead, he hardened his expression.

"Even if she is, Gregory won't touch her," Jaila said with a sly smile.

Gregory felt as though they were back on the war field, where Jalia always came to the rescue.

"Are you two done? We've got 35 minutes to have lunch now."

"Gregory, calm down," Jaila said.

"Oh, Jaila, do you want to laugh?" Wendon said with a Jackal's grin.

"Go on."

Wendon told her about Xenia and Gregory's altercation. The two gave each other an accomplice look before bursting into laughter.

"Children, I swear I work with children."

XX XY

"Xenia, here, I bought you a sandwich."

"Do you know how much I love you?

"No, tell me more," Niki replied while pretending to fan herself.

"It's a nightmare, I swear."

"Don't start. I already heard about your prick business; seriously, Xenia, you are supposed to lay low with the apartment issue and all."

Niki was in her mother hen mode, pushing Xenia to use her baby voice while making a sad emoji face.

"I know, I know, but I can't help it every time I see Gregory's face. I can't control myself. It's stronger than me; my brain says to attack," Xenia said while moving her hands in the air like a cat scratching someone's face.

"Anyway, I saw with Anya, and she said she was cool, she'll tell them you two are besties.

"Oh, thank you," Xenia said, hugging her friend's waist.

"I love your wig."

"Thanks, no one complimented me. Look, I even wore my new pumps," Xenia said, lifting a leg to show her new heels.

"They are gorgeous; I wish I could work with heels like you ."

Niki preferred wearing ballerinas to work; she would have opted for the hospital orthopedic footwear if they were considered trendy and sexy as comfort primed in the coordinator's mind.

"You want me to show you how to walk."

"Not now, Xenia, work, talk to you later," Niki said, jumping off Xenia's desk as the office was starting to fill up again.

Gregory, too, was right on time; he didn't even throw a glance at Xenia, who worked silently. He typed lips curving into a little smile as he recalled Xenia's mediocre apology.

Gregory had to admit it was nice seeing Xenia sweat throughout the day; she did give him a hard time, but it was almost amusing.

Good God, the woman, is turning you into a sadomasochist, Gregory thought as he typed.

The day was almost over, everyone left on time, and Gregory remained to watch Xenia like a teacher observes kids in detention.

Gregory stayed 30 minutes more.

"Xenia, it's over."

"No, No, it isn't; there are 24 hours in a day I have until midnight," she said from her desk typing.

Gregory lifted his hands in despair; the woman was more stubborn than a mule.

"Gregory," Jaila said as she stepped into the workspace.

"Hello, "Jaila greeted Xenia.

"Hi," Xenia replied as she typed.

Jalia threw a gaze at Xenia again before focusing on Gregory, "we're going to eat coming?"

"Yes, just a moment, Xenia, I thought you didn't do overtime."

"I said the day is not over."

Pride, Xenia had more pride than a roaster, Gregory thought. Xenia refused to admit defeat even squashed up against the wall. She fought beyond reasoning.

Gregory couldn't help but think they were alike in that sense; as he put on his jacket, closed his case, and left with Jaila.

Once at the building reception, he asked the security guards to note when Xenia left Astoria.

Alone, Xenia logged into her Deezer playlist, "Tina, help your little sis out here."

Tina's Turner voice howled with proud Mary.

"Alright, Gregory, let me show you what Xenia Symoné N' diayé is all about."