Chapter Eleven

Lilly stayed asleep for a further two hours, all the while Tyson and I sat motionless on the couch. Whether it was too awkward to move, or we were both to hungover to talk, it was silent. My eyes were focused on the television screen, though I was barely taking any notice of what was happening. Something about tennis by the looks of it. I was more focusing on the fact that Tyson was starting to consider me a friend. I knew that when he was around his mates, he wouldn't look twice at me, but with this project, we were alone 24/7. Who knows, maybe I could find out why he's so mean to almost everyone.

I hadn't looked at Tyson again ever since he rested his head back, but now I took the time to. I could hear Lilly gurgling and moving around in her crib, but she wasn't ready to be taken out yet. So I studied Tyson instead. He still had his head laid back, his eyes were still shut. His hair had dried over time and was now fluffy and pretty cute actually. Eventually Lilly started to cry so I forced my tired body off the couch. Walking over to the crib, I peered inside. She was still in the same position as I had left her. Except now she had a stuffed zebra clutched in her hands and tears were coming down her face. By the smell, it was obvious she needed a change.

I couldn't expect Tyson to do it, and it needed to be done, so I leant in and picked the heavy bundle up, making sure to support her fully as I rested her against my chest. She stunk, really bad. I only then realized I probably should have sent the rug and everything up so I could actually change her. There was no point putting her back down, she'd just get more upset. I guess I'd have to wake Tyson I up. I shuffled closer to him and kicked his foot. Even though he was being nice, I was still scared of how he'd react to being awoken.

Tyson merely moved his position, but he didn't wake up. I kicked his foot again, harder this time. It didn't even cause a reaction.

"Tyson!" I hissed, kicking his foot as hard as I could. His eyes fluttered open and he sat up straight, looking around tiredly. He was obviously still half asleep, so I have him a minute to collect himself. Then he looked at me, confusingly.

"Why would you wake me?" he said in a moaning voice, rubbing his eyes and then ruffling his hair. I scoffed, shaking my head.

"I need help, can you please get her diaper bag. It's there." I pointed towards the end of the crib, where a bag was sitting neatly on the ground. Normally Tyson would object, but he reached over and grabbed it.

"Now, can you get out her rug and set it up for me?" I asked, rubbing the crying baby's back. She was getting louder and louder every minute. Tyson nodded his head and unzipped the black bag, pulling out a soft, blue fleece. He laid it on the ground then looked at me expectantly, waiting for the next command.

"Now there should be a bag of wipes, some baby powder and a clean diaper in there." I explained, shifting Lilly in my arms to make her more comfortable. I was getting uncomfortable standing here holding a crying baby, but Tyson was going as fast as he could. He grabbed out the wipes, then the power and then the diaper. Placing them all next to the rug he zipped the bag back up and put back near the crib. I smiled gently at him, nodding my thanks, before I slowly knelt down, placing Lilly softly on the rug. I stood back up and grabbed the zebra from her bag, giving it to her. 

She threw it away, obviously not in the mood. I laughed, before I knelt down beside her. Unfastening the diaper straps, I was getting ready for what I was going to see. I had done this before, but it still unnerved me each time.

I was careful not to puke as I folded the dirty diaper up and reached out, waiting for Tyson to take it and throw it out. He looked at me as if I was crazy.

"Come on, it's not going to bite." I said mockingly, as he took it carefully from my hands. He stood up and walked out of the living and out the door, obviously going to throw it out in the bin outside. I looked back down at Lilly as I pulled a wipe from the bag. I cleaned her bottom, and then realized I should have gotten him to take the wipe with him. Where was I meant to put it now? I looked around, luckily Tyson came in just at that moment. I scrunched the wipe up carefully and handed it to him.

He sighed, "Anything else m'lady." he said mockingly, walking briskly outside again. I looked down at Lilly, laughing softly.

"What a smart a**" I said to her, ticking her tummy. She had stopped crying now, and was just looking around lazily at the room.

I grabbed the new diaper and got it ready, before I grabbed her legs and lifted her backside up, shifting the diaper underneath her. Tyson came strolling back in and took a seat in the same spot, watching me again.

I grabbed the powder and put some of it on her bottom, then I strapped the diaper up. I pulled her dress back down and looked at her cute little face for a moment. I wouldn't mind having kids when I'm older. As long as I had the perfect guy to raise a child with me, it'd be worth going through the pain of pregnancy and birth.

I smiled at the baby and picked her up, standing myself up while doing so. I gently put her back in the crib, and gave her an assortment of stuffed toys. I then looked back at the ground, ready to pack up, but found that Tyson had already put everything away, the diaper bag tucked neatly where it belongs.

"So, now what?" he said, crossing his legs and looking at me. I rolled my eyes, sitting down beside him.

"There is nothing to do now." I said simply, looking around the small rental house. How true that statement was. The school had promised to give us homework, but I hadn't received any yet. But frankly, I found that it wasn't bothering me. I reached down the side of couch and pulled my suite case up. Why was my bag there? Well Tyson had made it obvious the bed was his, so I had resorted to making the couch my bed. I pulled my phone out of the pocket, switched it on and looked at the screen. No text messages from Sarah, no messages from Mum, nothing. Maybe there wasn't any reception out here. For some reason, as that moment, I remembered how Tyson had dumped Sarah. Should I ask him why? I mean, maybe we weren't close enough to talk about that stuff yet.

But he brought it up for me. "How's that Sarah girl?" he asked innocently, as if what he had done was nothing big. I shook my head, looking at him.

"You broke her heart." I replied, waiting to see his reaction. "You never heard the full story." he answered, looking at me sharply.

I raised my eyebrows, leaning back on the couch.

"So tell me then."