Chapter 42

It took a few minutes for the words to make sense and eventually sink in, but by then, Josh had already moved from my point of vision, disappearing out of the bar with dismissal to everyone that would try to ask where he was going.

After his statement, I told myself that I would no longer deny what was apparently right in front of me. I wasn't lying to myself when I thought that there was something between Josh and I. But then, what was Claire to Josh if he didn't seem to care about the fact that they were no longer together?

I needed to escape and clear my head, but the only place I knew to go would be to the hotel, where Josh would probably be hiding.

"I think I'm gonna head back." I shouted out Tyler once I finally returned to where he was, but with him obviously a lot more drunk than before.

"I'll walk you back."

"Honestly, it's fine." I pressed my hands up against his chest as he stood up, but it was only able to have the opposite effect of him leaning further against me. One of his hands found my waist as I felt suddenly uncomfortable with our current position and with what Josh had just said to me.

"I'll walk you, Savannah."

"The hotel is two doors away, we can practically see it from here. You stay, I'll be fine." I reassured but he simply shook his head as he leaned away from our close proximity. It took a little more convincing until I'd eventually slipped away without Tyler being able to utter another word about walking me back.

I reached the doors to the hotel only a mere few minutes after leaving the bar, and I was extremely thankful to be in a quieter area to allow Josh's words to make sense in my mind again.

'I'm not talking about Claire' replayed in my head over a hundred times, through the quiet lobby, into the elevator and up to our floor. The hallway was equally as quiet, but I knew that I needed to at least see if Josh had come back here. I wouldn't be able to sleep with knowing he was next door and holding information I desperately needed explaining.

With a sharp intake of breath, I wrapped my hand against the door of Josh and Harvey's shared room, changing to holding my breath at the same time as the knock that sounded.

I was more than surprised to hear the faint footsteps gradually making their way to the door, but only realising that I was now in full vision of the door peephole, granting Josh the opportunity to just not answer.

But within several seconds, the door was pulled open. Josh was still in the same clothing, as if he'd just arrived back, which he probably did. But his eyes were tired, and he didn't look ready to talk about anything relating to our earlier conversation.

However, that didn't stop me from walking in anyway, frustration taking over when it came to thinking about Josh and about the talk that we needed to have.

"You need to explain." I kept my gaze at the wall beside me, afraid that I would end up letting tears fall earlier than I had expected. He stuffed his hands into his pockets and sighed loudly, but I simply ignored the signs that he didn't want to talk and instead, tapped my foot incessantly to the floor.

"Can we talk about this tomorrow—"

"No, Josh. We're talking about this now." I finally met his eyes, knowing that I had the strength to keeps the tears in. "You've been keeping me in the dark for too long now. After everything, you are going to tell me what you meant in the bar—"

My words were halted by the sudden lump forming in my throat. I had told myself I wouldn't cry but I felt it coming, just as I was able to say what I had wanted to say at the very beginning. "And you are going to tell me why you made me think that you liked me, when you never did."