In Enemy Territory

Captive Souls

Chapter 3

Hours blurred into days. Chi-chi felt sore from the amount of training her son had put her through; however, Gohan did not make her give up. Pulling out of her hammock, Chi-chi yawned before she noticed Goten looking eagerly at Chi-chi.

"Mommy, today's my birthday!" Goten happily smiled. "Will you make that cake?"

"I'll have to see if I can find the supplies first," Chi-chi ruffled Goten's hair. She wanted to make his birthday worthwhile; especially since he was now ten years old. Picking up the basket, she noticed a few lists from the people in the other room. Some have been asking for extra blankets since the ones that they had were getting moldy. Grabbing her cloak, she clipped it on before picking up the basket.

"Be careful mommy," Goten waved goodbye before Chi-chi climbed up the ladder.

_______

'So, you're on the move again Mysterious Nightingale,' Dusk thought silently while he watched Chi-chi heading down to an old barnyard where she hoped to find some fresh eggs. 'What is it that you seek tonight?' Deciding to follow silently and ignore his orders to find their headquarters, Dusk abandoned his post to pursue the Mysterious Nightingale.

_______

The barnyard had been long since abandoned. The once domesticated chickens became wild and fluttered away when Chi-chi drew near. She noticed egg shells before she noticed a nest with fresh eggs inside. Kneeling down carefully, she plucked a few out before wrapping it in the lists that she had. The last thing she wanted was the eggs to break before she managed to get them back to the hideout

Above her, Dusk looked down at Chi-chi with an emotionless mask. He was perplexed that this female was gathering eggs and wondered what she planned to do with them. He made no attempt to harm or go after her since her defenses were down completely. After all, where would be the honor if he attacked her suddenly?

'Now I need to get some milk,' Chi-chi thought while pulling out an empty bottle. She headed over to the barn where some cow grazed.

'Is she planning to make something?' Dusk landed softly and watched her get milk from a cow. He quickly hid when she finished and walked out. 'What is it that she's doing? Why does she need these things from the animals?'

_______

In one of the few stores left, Chi-chi looked on the shelves for some cake mix that had not long since expired. Dusk accidentally knocked something to the ground thanks to the weapon at his side. Chi-chi's eyes widened and she quickly grabbed one before running; however, Dusk got in her way before she could make it to the door.

"Move! I don't have time to..." Chi-chi started to say. The basket trembled in her hands from how upset she was.

"Wait a second," Dusk countered. "What are you doing?"

"I was going to make a cake," Chi-chi replied.

"Cake? What is this cake?" Chi-chi stared at this male in utter disbelief. He had never heard of what cake was and she couldn't blame him.

"Well, it's a form of dessert..." Chi-chi began to explain.

"Is that why you needed eggs and milk?" Dusk questioned.

"How long were you...?" Chi-chi was interrupted by Dusk when he covered her mouth and pulled her against his body to conceal her. A light shone and only Dusk's shadow was seen. Fear filled the pit of her stomach. Would he get caught trying to protect her with his back to the soldier?