Chapter 6: Try Not to Look Upward

Chapter 6

We all knew what we signed up for. That's why we knew what was happening when there were cups of water on the table. Kyle and I looked at each other, and with a smile and cheers, we drank it.

They chose a drug that no one was supposed to be able to taste, but there becomes a point when you hate it so much that you can feel the grittiness of anything someone tries to slip you, no matter how much is dissolves.

Here we are. The beginning of the fourth test. Obviously, they gave us water after our fitness session. I was the last person for that, which was to be expected.

I leaned my head back and flipped my neck forward, which caused my blindfold to fall down slightly. I couldn't use my hands because they were securely tied behind me. At least they had the decency to tie me to a chair. Standing would just be a pain. Or lying on the floor.

I kept flipping my head and my braid was flopping across my face, causing the blindfold to shift. Until it was enough that I could pull it down with my tongue and see.

I had my blindfold around my neck and started to work on untying my hands. I looked around, everyone else still had their blindfolds on. Someone who had their back to me was trying to untie their hands before their blindfold.

My muscles were cramping in weird places, which was probably another result of the drink, especially right after the fitness part, which would leave me extremely sore when I would wake up tomorrow.

Kyle slid his down off his eyes and looked at me across the room. I knew what he was about to do, mainly because we mastered the skill together. Before he did, he winked and me, then leaned forward and flipped out of the chair, which cracked under him. He removed the ropes and left the room with one last glance at me.

I worked faster, and slipped the ropes off my hands and then worked on my hands. I couldn't do a flip, especially with my leg brace and vest. The ropes on my legs were looser than the ones on my arms, which made it easier. I left the room, the second person out.

"You doing ok?" Kyle asked as we waited in the next room.

"Amazing."

"Just one more test," he said.

I sighed. "Yeah."

"You can pull it off. If anyone can, it's you."

Here comes the next round of expectations and wow Brooke, you're so great. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it.

"This one is going to be hard though," I said.

"How do you know?"

"The others were too easy. Only one person dropped out." I counted when we were in the other room. Someone wasn't there, which meant they refused to drink. They thought they were being smart, but they didn't realize that in order to get into the next room, they had to be tied up.

"Maybe it's just a tougher crowd this year."

I raised an eyebrow. "Then they would make it harder. Trust me. This one is going to be bad."

A few more people came out in the next minute. Suddenly, there was a loud beeping sound. It kept getting faster and faster until the doors closed. Five people didn't untie themselves in time. One person dragged himself out, still tied to the chair, right before the doors closed.

I didn't help him. I couldn't. I needed as much of an advantage as I could. That's why Mallory measured out my drug doses of my medication (which I actually took last night) so when I would come in contact with the depressants I would wake up faster. That's why I convinced Chelsea and Nathan to find a way for me to run with my leg brace. I wasn't as fast as I used to be, but I was above the automatic cutoff mark.