nine.

CHAPTER NINE
'he needs her, and she needs him'
-

mike walked down the stairs, her mother slowly coming to view.

karen smiled as she saw mike, but he just kept a straight face.

"hi, mike" she opened her arms.

"wait, mom."

"what's wrong, sweetie?" she furrowed her eyebrows.

"please, sit down. both of you."

"mike, you are scaring me-"

"just, please."

karen nodded and gestured for ted to sit down with her. mike sat down on a couch in front of them.

"i need you to listen to me, okay?"

karen gulped, nodding.

mike sighed, taking a glance at nancy before looking back at his parents.

"remember the day that will disappeared?"

"yes"

"that night, i- i met someone, a girl"

karen furrowed her eyebrows together.

"don't-"

"mom. please let me talk"

karen nodded.

"this girl. she uh, she'd been trapped in hands of doctor brenner, for her whole life"

karen's eyes widened.

"a girl" she mumbled, remembering the picture dr.brenner showed them years before.

"she had her head shaved, right?" karen asked.

mike nodded. suddenly so many questions that urged her clicked.

"she lived here for that week, didn't she?" she said slowly, looking back up at mike.

"she did. but- mom. she- uh. she died. she became really important to me, mom. and i thought i lost her, but..."

mike walked to the stairs.

"el?"

karen and ted stood up, looking impatiently at the stairs.

mike stuck his arm out, and a small pale brunette girl started shyly walking down the stairs, taking mike's hand.

"i found her" he looked at his parents.

karen's eyes widened, she looked at ted, then at nancy, who was bitting her lip nervously.

"she's called eleven, well, el"

el looked shyly at his parents.

"el, sweetie. can you go to mike's bedroom for a second? i need to talk with mike"

el looked terrified, and mike confused.

mike licked his lips and looked at el. he lowered his head.

"i'll be up in a second, don't worry" he whispered in her ear.

el slowly nodded, walking up the stairs. mike looked up at her until he heard his door shut.

"what is it?"

"what is it? what are we going to do with her?" karen said.

nancy furrowed her eyebrows and parted her lips.

mike lifted his eyebrows.

"excuse me?"

"mike, she can't live here. she's a stranger."

"she has no one, mom!"

"we'll find someone for her"

"no!"

"don't shout at me, michael"

"if she leaves, i'll leave" he said, pressing his lips together and storming up the stairs.

"are you mad?" nancy shouted.

"oh, i'm mad?" karen lifted her arms.

"mom, sometimes you're so oblivious"

"what?"

"he loves her, mom! why do you think mike has been the way he was for these past years? didn't you realize that when she was walking down the stairs, you saw him smile for the first time in years? a real smile?"

karen stood there, shaken at her daughters words.

"he needs her, and she needs him. you are being really unfair, mother." she started walking out of the room.

"oh", she turned around. "and if el and mike are leaving, you might want to forget about me. i would do anything for my brother to be happy, and you're taking that away from him, so don't expect for me to stay to see that happen" she walked up the stairs.

that night mike and el cried to sleep onto each others arms. they were tearing them apart.

again.

-