Chapter 14

You stayed at Alec's place and ran some errands for him now and then to pay him off for the fact that you lived in his guestroom. All the while you were helping Evie gain the information about the piece of Eden that had been far more secured since Evie's failed attempt with Henry. You could slowly see the effect you had on the streets of London. The Rooks were more and more visible in the streets and you didn't fear for your life when you ran errands for Alec, as you did in the start. Even though Jacob was a dog, his work with the Rooks actually went really well, despite Evie's doubt in the start. It was like you and Evie was the team now, and Jacob just did his own thing on the side line, even though you both worked towards the same goal; Freeing London from the Templars.

Jacob was never actually home, because when he wasn't out with his Rooks, he had started to visit more pubs and sleeping around in the mud until a watchman pulled him up. It was a sad sight the few time you saw him trip over his oven feet into his wagon and disappear behind the steel door. You tried your best not to think about it. Because sometimes you felt that it was your fault, but then you remembered what he did and you could brush it off by keeping yourself busy. At some point you actually took over some of the work from Alec's maid, but the poor girl asked you to stop in a very nervous voice because she was afraid to lose her position.

One day Evie came running into Alec's workshop with a policeman called Inspector Abberline. You knew immediately that it had something to do with Jacob, and that's when it all started to show; all the problems with Jacob. It started to pile up and affect others and not only himself. It had started small with a few Rooks that came to recover in one of the wagons, because Jacob choose to run off in the middle of a fight and leaving the poor Rooks with too many Blighters to handle. They were lucky to get out of there alive. But you didn't quite think you hear right the day Evie stood there with the nerve wracked police Inspector.

"He did what now?"

"He broke into the Bank of England." Said Evie again and it was like the words were like rocks that fell down on the inspectors shoulders, as they sunk further down than they already were.

"How... Why?" You couldn't quite believe it and tried to make sense of it all in your head. But there wasn't any explanation for it. Nothing about your missions in London pointed in the direction of the Bank of England.

"We are not quite sure. It seems like he was after Phillip Twopenny, the governor of the Bank of England. But at the same time the currency printing plates went missing. The press is already stirring the pot and people are rioting. Brittan's economy is ruined!" Said Inspector Abberline with a roar.

"I'm sure my brother didn't steal anything, Inspector." Evie said calmly but you could see her eyes were on fire. She didn't like anyone accusing her brother for steeling something that didn't have anything to do with the missions they were on.

"But that doesn't change the fact that people and rioting and the economy is in a crisis!"

"If you would let me talk with y/n, Sir, maybe we can find an answer to your problem!" Evie said a bit harsher this time. It made the inspector silent for a moment. It was clear that he knew about you and Evie's daily work and it clearly made him a little nervous.

"What can I do to help?" You asked immediately. You would do everything to help Evie out of any situation, even though it included helping her brother as well. Evie was much closer to you than Mary because she knew all sides of you without judging. You haven't seen Mary since the day you got beaten up. You were sure that she wouldn't have anything to do with you after that and she would run to the nearest Templar and tell about you.

"Unbreak the bank with me. We have to get those printing plates back in there."

And that's how you ended up unbreaking the bank of England. You didn't doubt that Jacob wasn't the person to steal the printing plates, but it did worry you that his actions became that much public. That's why Evie came to you another time for help. This time it wasn't a mission from another fellow assassin, but more a favour asked from a friend and worried sister. She came in and sat right down. She didn't even glare at your normal everyday clothes you were wearing around in Alec's workshop, like she did a lot when she got there. It was like she was afraid that you would try and get out of the brotherhood. Not that it was impossible for you to escape anything by doing it anyway. Your face was still drawn on wanted posters a few places in the city that the Blighters still owned.