Chapter One

Catherine 's POV

'You will have to listen to me young lady. My decision is final! You are not to marry that man and I'm not going to change my mind!'

I dropped my fork down on my plate in anger. I couldn't contain my anger anymore. I was done doing things just to please him. But now, I didn't care. I had to make him see my point.

'Dad, you cannot tell me what to do. I'm a full grown adult now and I have the right to make my decisions'.

My father, Mr. Roberts Douglas, put down his fork too and faced me. His handsome face was now contorted with anger and that made him look a little less handsome. His brown hair was perfectly cut as always and his jaw was firmly set.

'But I am your father!' he said, 'and I have to prevent  you from making the wrong decisions!'

'This is my decision to make! ' I retorted, 'I'm the one to suffer if this decision is a bad one!'

'Catherine!' My mother, Mrs. Stella Douglas, put in, 'this is no way to talk to your father. Lower your voice!'
I turned to her. She was seating just across me at the left side of my father. Her hair was plaited in a French braid as usual and her diamond jewellery shone on her earlobes and neck.

'Mother', I said, 'why can't you just back me up here? At least see things from my side! '

'Your side?' She asked. 'How can I? Doing that will only lead to disgrace. You are going to spoil our image!'

I scoffed, 'Your image? That's all you guys have ever thought about, right? For crying out loud, you are my parents. Shouldn't my happiness be considered?'

'We are considering your happiness, Catherine!' My father put in, 'and you will not be happy if you marry that man!'

'I will not be happy if I don't marry him'

'He has no money' My father said.

'It doesn't matter'

My sister, Priscilla, Who had been quiet all this time, gasped,  'You did not just say that!'

'Well I did Priscilla. Because it's true'

'Marrying that man will make life miserable for you' Priscilla stated. 'I mean, have you seen his house? It's like a hundred times smaller than ours. I heard it has only two bedrooms. No gym, no swimming pool, no study, no laundry room, no guest bedrooms, a small kitchen.. I could go on and on..
But seriously, how would you survive?'

I gave a little humorless laughter, 'I never expected you to support me but it still stings. Why can't you just consider my happiness?'

'Your happiness, to us, lies with Ian not Brad', my mother put in.

Alright, this is how my family is and has always been. My name's Catherine Anna Douglas, the first child and daughter of Mr. Roberts and Mrs. Stella Douglas. My parents are rich people, having to own one if the biggest oil companies in New York. I had been trained on how to eat, dress, talk and even walk properly in the way the society deems fit right from when I was young. This didn't seat well with me but I had no choice but to obey my parents orders.

I was a child who was always wanting my parents affection, to play in dirt along with the other kids at the park, to talk and laugh with different kids I chose to be my friends but right from when I was little, I was taught not to indulge in such fantasies. I always tried to be the perfect daughter to my parents but for some reason, I was never good enough.

My younger sister, Priscilla, on the other hand, blended right in. She was able to get all the lessons we were taught on behaving ourselves in the society and upholding our image. Everyone was amazed at how perfect age was, she had it all: beauty, intelligence, a killer figure and all I had ever wished for. My parents never hesitated to show her off to friends.