35: THE DARKNESS INSIDE

Rapunzel

I don't know. I don't know what is happening to me. I don't know why I said that to Merida. I know I'm afraid. It felt like I'm being a prisoner. Of what? I don't have a specific answer right now.

I looked at her for the last time and gave a small smile before leaving. I just delivered what I want to say or at least, to warn her. Warn her from what?

Of Something.

"Do you have any idea who could that be?" I gazed at Hiccup and waited for his answer while fixing my hair, combing it with my fingers.

"This is Berk you know. Our people are equipped with different kinds of weapons. Anything you could imagine."

"So?"

"It could be anyone or—or maybe, one of the town folks who mistaken us to be—"

"Enemies?" Jack butted in.

"Yep. So, we better watch out."

I looked around and studied our surrounding. Hmm. No one can easily find us in here. There are trees everywhere, covering us from any one's sight. Serving as our camouflage from someone who's against us.

"So... what is our plan right now, Dragon boy?" Jack asked as he played with his staff in circles. Making us to look at him.

"We don't need a plan Frost. We go there and attack!" Merida said with confidence and perseverance. I just gave out a timid smile.

"Oh no Curly. Do you want to experience again what happened before?" He chuckled nervously. "I—I won't let that to happen."

"Jack's right. For now," Hiccup gave us a look with Toothless beside him. This time, he sure looks to be intimidated at some point. "We need a plan."

I nodded as an answer. We really need a plan right ahead. We shouldn't be going there without preparing and such because I cannot bear seeing them suffer.

Without even a minute, I suddenly felt pain in my chest that left me off guard.

What is happening?

It's spreading in a vast rate like an epidemic—a disease. I breathed deeply, drawing out the situation to keep myself calm but it didn't turn out great. Because of the intense pain, I end up clutching my dress tightly on the side. I breathe deeply again.

I'll be fine.

I began to walk around for them not see me like this. I can't. I won't let them. I'll be handling this with myself. Yes, Rapunzel. By yourself.

And now, it had gotten worse. I tried myself to calm down or at least help myself up but it's not working. It's like I'm being strangled alive, without any air to breathe. Without a life to live. Nothing.

"Punzie..." I heard Merida's concerned voice called. I tried my best to turn around and all I could see is their worried faces.

"Are ya okay?" I know she can sense something. She's a smart girl.

I tried to confine myself to show that I'm literally okay. I smiled and faced her,

Even though it kills me inside, I'll endure it all to keep them safe.

"Yes. Yes. I'm fine."

****

I run-off the kingdom, getting away from the palace guards that will surely lock me down in a cold prison cell. Doing everything they want—to keep me suffer. I had enough. I can't. I'm afraid.