18: MANNY'S WORD

Jack

Burgess.

The sun's rays began to fade as darkness took over the place. The air became colder this time of the day which really suits me. And just after a half an hour, it is night time.

I flew and flew and stopped as I got a glimpse of a familiar view. I can witness the lake I am waiting to see while I'm floating in mid-air. The wind blew hard, making my hair to flow with it.

"Where here, Jack." I said to myself and decided to float down until my foot touches the ground, feeling the refreshing sensation as the snow tingled underneath.

I grabbed my staff and played it in circles as I enjoyed myself looking at the lake. Satisfying and reminiscing my memories of the last time I played with my sister, Emma.

I died here. At this exact place.

And it still hurts me inside. I left my sister, my family, and the life that is waiting for me as a mortal. Like other people around the world.

I missed that feeling. Being human.

I dipped the end of my staff in the water and when it touches the surface, frost began to spread from all the corners of the lake in a vast speed.

Just like what I did at Corona.

The surface of the lake is hard and cold as ice. I stepped in and started to walk while my staff is in my right hand.

"Enjoy." I said, talking to myself.

That is when I started to run like a little child who's amazed and full of adventure. This freedom I'm feeling right now is priceless.

I let the end of my staff touch the frozen lake as I run around, leaving different patterns of frost trailing behind.

"This is amazing!" I let out a loud scream of satisfaction.

Every pain I felt before is temporarily gone for now. Only for now because of the fun I am doing and that covers it all.

I continued to run and suddenly stopped as I gasped for air while panting fast. I'm exhausted.

I then looked at the moon, gazing at its beauty but once I'm done, I turned around and began to walk out of the lake.

When I decided to walk away, that is the time I felt the moon's raise began to show up when bright white light shone, making the surrounding more bright and clear.

That's when I heard a familiar voice.

"Hello Jack." I returned my gaze at the moon.

"Manny? Is that you?" I asked with doubt.

Is he here? For long years of waiting, he finally spoke to me. The answer I am finally asking for.

"Yes, Jack. This is me."

"Manny!" I answered with delight. I can't believe it, he's here.

"Now listen to me Jack. I need you to go back to the North Pole as fast as you can." He answered with his low voice.

"Why? What do you mean, Manny?"

"You'll know when you get there."

So this is what I'm waiting for. Being ordered to go back to the North Pole because of who-knows-what. Great, just great.

"But—" I wanted to clarify something but he cut me off.

"Jack, go." He commanded.