Chapter 2: Accidents Happen

"You need to come with us."
"No. I'm fine."
"Agent, you must-"
"I said I'm fine!" I spun on my heel to see the paramedic who was acting like he was my mom.
"I'll call your boss." He said, crossing his arms.
"Go ahead." I said, doing the same as him by folding my arms across my own chest. He pulled out a flip phone and dialed a few numbers. He brought it up to his ear with a smirk.
"Hello? Commander Ross? Yeah, this is a paramedic. There has been an accident and one of your agents was involved.... Yes, Agent Coleson." He said. How did Commander know it was me? "Yep. Mhm. She's refusing treatment... Okay. I'll tell her." He said, as he hung up.
"Well...?" I said.
"Commander Ross says if you refuse treatment, you will be suspended from missions for a month." He said. A MONTH?!
"Okay, fine." I huffed. He led me to the ambulance and opened the back doors for me. I reluctantly hopped inside and sat down. He followed me in, and closed the doors behind himself.
"Noah? We're ready to go." The paramedic said. The ambulance started up and I could feel the rumble of the engine beneath me.
"Can we hurry it up a bit?" I asked, annoyed. This was gonna take FOREVER!
"Let me see that hand of yours." The paramedic said, reaching for my injured wrist. I yanked it away from him.
"Like I said, I'm fine." I said, looking away from him and focusing on a piece of metal that was holding the door closed. It was... Jiggling. Is it supposed to do that? We hit a bump and the screw almost fell out. We hit another bump, and it did. I leapt over the equipment laying on the floor and I grabbed the inside door handles.
"Whoa." The paramedic said.
"Maybe you should check your vehicle for dangers before you use it to carry innocent victims who are probably severely injured!" I said, rolling my eyes.
"Well... At least you caught it in time..." He said.
"You think?" I said, turning to look at him. He looked embarrassed. "That could've been seriously dangerous."
"I know. Sorry." He said, scratching the back of his neck.
I remained seated at the back of the ambulance, holding the doors shut, for the rest of the ride. The paramedic didn't say anything. He didn't ask to look at my hand, he didn't ask if I was okay, he just left me alone. Good, he's catching on. Maybe he's not as idiotic as I thought he was.
When we arrived at the hospital, I was relieved. My arms felt like they were going to fall off! Every time the car would hit a bump, the doors would attempt to fling themselves open. It took all of my strength, but I managed to hold them shut the entire ride.
"Okay, you can let go now." The paramedic said. I did as I was told, which was a first.
"Ow!" I said, shaking out my hands.
"We need to get you inside. Come on." He said, leading the way out of the ambulance. I followed him into the hospital, and he brought me to a small room. "Sit." He said, motioning towards the bed. This time, I didn't listen. I folded my arms and leaned up against the wall. "Or stand. Whatever works." He said, shrugging. He left the room, and I sat down.
The room was a light blue color. The walls were plain, but the floor was white. It looked glossy and clean, as if someone had just mopped. The bed was covered in crinkly white paper, and it didn't look extremely comfortable. The room smelled of a mixture of antibiotics and hand sanitizer. Overall, it smelt like a hospital. There was a small desk with a computer sitting on top of it. Under the desk, was a black, leather spinning chair! Oh how I wanted to sit in it, but I refrained. I looked over to my right and saw a sink with some supplies around it. Maybe I could just fix myself up instead of waiting for a doctor.
I looked down at my hand, and saw many cuts all over it. I then looked a little further up my hand and saw my black and blue wrist. I remember trying to catch myself when i hit the ground from the explosion. I probably didn't feel it, because of the adrenaline pumping through my veins.
I stood up and walked towards the supplies. I decided to start with the cuts. I grabbed a cotton ball and put a little disinfectant on it. I softly dabbed it all over my cuts. It stung, but I knew I had to do it. I saw a few shards of glass stuck in my flesh, so I took a tweezer and pulled them out. Last, but not least, my wrist. I looked around for some gauze. Bingo! In the cabinet. I wrapped my wrist, and then taped it to make sure it would stay. There. Good enough.
I was about to leave the room, when a nurse walked in. "Oh! Agent Coleson! Nice to see you again." Ugh. Not this nurse. She was the same nurse I had to deal with a while back when I got a knife to the leg. She's WAY too perky.
"You too." I muttered, crossing my arms. She pushed some of her red hair behind her ear and her hazel eyes stared at my wrist.
"Well let's take a looksie at your hand." She said. She reached out and grabbed my bandaged wrist. She examined it and gave me the okay. "You did a good job!" She said, giving me a thumbs up.
"Mhm." I said, not really paying attention.
"Just sign these papers and you're good to go!" She said, handing me a clipboard covered in discharge papers. I quickly signed and gave them back. She eagerly waved as I exited the building, but I didn't wave back. She was just flat out annoying.
"Hey! Hey Aubrey!" Speaking of annoying...
"What." I said, blankly, as I spun around. There was Marcus, standing by his car.
"I heard you needed a ride." He said, blushing. He had a very pale complexion, so whenever he blushed, it was very obvious.
"Where'd ya hear that?" I asked, even though it was true.
"Commander." He said, running a hand through his brown hair.
"Well..." I said, trying to stall. "I do need a ride." I said, defeated. I had no other choice. I COULD call my mom, but she would just worry.
"Great! Hop in!" He said, pointing towards the rusty old car. It was a teal-blue color with rust stains by the front two wheels. One of the side mirrors looked like it was about to fall off. In fact, the entire car looked like it would fall apart if the breeze was too strong. I shook my head, as I walked to this piece of junk, scolding myself in my head the entire way.
He opened he door for me, and then scurried over to the driver-side door. He hopped in, put the keys in the ignition, and started it up. The engine roared, like an old car from the movies. I leaned my head up against the window, trying to ignore his constant talking. He kept asking me questions, but I pretended like I didn't hear him. Eventually, he gave up on talking. He turned the radio on. And. Started. Singing. He's trying to drive me up the wall, isn't he!?
We finally arrived at my driveway, and I muttered a quick thanks as I scrambled out of his car. "Save me a dance tonight! See ya there! The ride was really no problem! I'm sure you'll look pretty! By-" I cut him off by slamming my front door shut. He needs to learn when to shut up.
"I'm home!" I yelled. I dropped my bag by the door and slipped off my shoes. I walked into the kitchen to see my mom reading a magazine.
"Hi! How was work?" She asked. Here we go.
"Fine." I replied, sighing.
"How are your co-workers?" She asked.
"Fine." I replied again.
"How's-"
"We're having a dance tonight." I said, cutting her off. Uh oh. Big mistake.
"Really?! A dance? What are you going to wear? Who all is going? Do you have a date? Do you want me to drive you? Where's your motorcycle? What happened to your hand?" She asked question after question, and my head began to hurt. The joys of childhood...
(A/n: hello! I hope you liked this chapter! Vote. Follow. Share. READ!)