Ch. 11: Excitement and Promises

Start from the beginning

The atmosphere at the table is very comfortable. It's completely foreign to me, but I'd like to have something similar someday. I guess when you're alone, you don't feel lonely. Now that I was being thrust into social life, I could feel pangs of loneliness as I realized that I was missing out. I would have to keep my distance. I don't want to become too comfortable and then be thrown back into that dreadful, blue house.

I ate the breakfast gratefully. Bacon and eggs. A luxury that I would love to live with more often. I am so blessed to be able to eat this real meals and talk to people.

"Oh, it's almost time for you guys to get going." Mirabella states, looking at the clock on the microwave. I see that she is right. I finish my food and rinse off my plate.

"What a good kid!" Mirabella exclaims. "If only Alex would follow your lead."

I flash a small smile at her. "Hey, mom!" Alex proclaims, standing up and rinsing his own plate.

"See? Such a good influence." She crows.

Alex huffs and gestures for me to follow him out of the kitchen. "Jeez. She's too loud so early in the morning," Alex complains. He tugs on his shoes and I follow his lead.

"I'll drive us to school." Alex says, bending down to grab his backpack.

"Well, it's going to be hard to attend school with out my school stuff." I say pointedly.

"Oh!" He exclaims. "Sorry, I totally forgot. I'll drive you to your house and let you get your stuff, then we'll go to school," He amends.

"Sounds like a plan." I say nonchalantly, but really, I feel anxious. I don't want Alex to be anywhere near that blue house that holds nothing but bad memories for me. I'm also nervous to be driving with Alex. My crush.

We walk through the pack grounds. People who are out for a stroll stop to bow their heads in recognition to Alex as we pass. They give me curious looks as they see me with their alpha. I recognize a few faces, but it seems the feeling isn't mutual. They don't even throw another glance my way. I shrug it off.

I look around the beautiful grounds. The trees are changing colors and the sky is brightening. It's like a scene from a painting. I want to capture this in my heart forever.

"It's been so long since the last time I've been here. Not much has changed." I reminisce.

"Yeah, too long. A few things have change. More members and some new houses." Alex says.

"Yeah, but all in all, the feeling is still the same." The whole place feels nostalgic. I miss the comforting feeling. I finger the chain around my neck absentmindedly.

***

The drive from the woods to the abominable blue house took 20 minutes. I'm surprised that he lives so far away. And a little disappointed to boot. Living so far away, it would only be harder to visit Alex whenever I wanted to.

Alex pulls the car to a stop in front of the house, not parking in the driveway. I hop out of the warm car and get a blast of chilly winter winds. Shivering, I scurry towards the house to get out of the cold.

I take a couple of deep breaths before I open up the white door. The hallway is empty, but seems unnecessarily long. My feet seem to hit every creaky floorboard as I sneak to the staircase. Aunt Tanya's car and Uncle's Joe's car wasn't in the driveway, but Kyle's was. And Kyle has enough power to instill fear in me. I ascend the narrow stairs, holding my breath when I am on the second floor. I can hear Kyle rummaging around in his room. Cautiously, I begin up the second stair case up to the "third" floor.

Once I am in my room I breathe a sigh of relief and instantly start grabbing all of my school supplies: backpack, books, and a coat. When I'm sure I have everything, I return to the top of the stair well, retracing my steps.

The front door is in sight when footsteps are heard on the stairs. I scramble down the hall to the door and throw it open. Just as I walk out of the door and turn to close the door, Kyle appears at the end of the hallway. He looks surprised that I'm here.

"Nico-" I cut him off by closing the door.

I waste no time turning around and leaping off the stairs and running to the vehicle. I hop into Alex's warm car, breathing heavy. The seat belt resist my efforts at first, but a couple of seconds later and it is latched in place. Alex pulls the car away from the curb and makes for the school.

"What was that?" Alex inquires giving me a weird look.

"What was what?" I feign ignorance.

"Why where you running down the yard to the car? You seemed pretty spooked."

"Well, that's because there is a ghost, and it was chasing after me." I joke.

Alex huffs, "Fine, don't tell me then."

My heart clenches at those words. I know I should tell him about myself, everything that happened, but I'm not ready. He'll be so ashamed of me, I don't want to see that.

~*~*~*~

School is as crowded as always, a mill of activity. Alex parks his car in the usual spot. When the engine is off we both sit awkwardly in silence. What were we supposed to talk about? We haven't seen each other in years, we are both different people with different interest. Last night didn't help with conversation topics either.

Through the thick silence, it's Alex that speaks first, "Um, so you're going to join the pack, right?"

I nod my head, "Of course. If you'll let me."

"Of course!" He says quickly, he shrinks for a second, embarrassed at his composure, "I just found you, I don't want to lose you again." He said these words so quiet and gentle my heart skipped a beat and I felt guilt rush over me.

"So, when can I join you? When can I stay at the camp?" When can I leave that awful blue house.

"Tonight is a full moon, so the pack was going to go on a run. If you want to join us, feel free. I'll pick you up after school." The look in Alex's eyes shows that he really wants me to go, and I can't turn down my mate, I don't want to.

"OK. Sure. It's a promise." I smile, suddenly feeling giddy with nervous excitement. I was going to be able to run with a pack for the first time in my life, with my mate.

A bell echoes throughout the campus. Alex and I scramble out of the car, him locking it behind us. We walk together to first period. I can barely contain my excitement.