*Chapter Twenty-Three*

The demon named Wroth says nothing as Kinley and I pass him, both of us splattered in blood. That smirk of his is a telling sign he knows what happened and that he knows what it means for the vampire community. Damian's death will lead to the destruction of the council. It is going to be an all out war for the throne.

Kinley's short legs make it hard for her to keep up with my long strides, yet I don't give her a choice. I have her by the wrist and I am not letting go until we are out of this place.

Serena's brow lifts when she spots us before the others, her drink pausing at her lips. Dorian's stopping mid-sentence and Kalista's widening eyes cause Kerrien to turn around. He doesn't need to turn around to know someone is drenched in vampire blood. He could smell it on me the moment I stepped foot into the open bar area. The thing is he didn't care until the others in the room went silent along with Dorian, Kalista, and my sisters.

Kerrien's eyes narrow into slits when he picks up on the familiar scent that covers my right arm.

"We are leaving," I command, not stopping as I continue to haul Kinley toward the exit, grabbing Kalista's arm on the way out.

I'm forced to stop when Kerrien appears in front of the exit doors. "Where is Damian?" he asks, venom gathering in his mouth making his words thick as the overflow of it coats his throat. I have far too much of his brother's blood on me for his comfort.

"He's in the alley lying right next to the heart I ripped from his chest." I release my hold of Kinley's wrist and Kalista's arm, straightening my shoulders as I step to Kerrien. "I made myself clear when I said this one's flesh isn't for the taking. If your brother had listened, he'd still be here."

At this point, I'm daring Kerrien Norvak to do something. The best-case scenario is we fight, and I send him to join his brother in the afterlife. I'd have grounds then as I was protecting myself and there would be witnesses to back me up.

Kerrien may be similar in age, but he isn't as strong as me and he knows it.

"You killed Damian over a human?" Kerrien's voice goes low.

"The encouragements state we are to turn virgin humans over or compel them to forget. Your brother was a half second away from feasting on this human's heart. That is a violation of the new encouragements and a violation of Kalista's claim on her as a future chalice."

"I guess it is a good thing soon enough all those new encouragements won't matter." Kerrien steps to the side, the vein in his forehead rearing its ugly head as it pulses in his anger. "I'd hold on tight to the princess, Tristan, because if I get to her, that means I get both of them. I can think of a lot of ways I could have fun with the chalice my brother died trying to taste."

Kerrie's threat is unmistakable, but it's what he doesn't say that is more worrisome. He knows something we don't. He's too confident in his words and too unaffected by Damian's death. He isn't worried about vengeance because he knows it's already coming our way.

Whatever excuse the Norvak needed to convince the others on the fence about joining their revolt to overthrow the Vondarrie, I just hand delivered to them.

Placing a hand on Kinley's and Kalista's back, I shove them through the door first. I keep my eyes locked on Kerrien's as I encourage my sisters to go in front of me as well. I don't trust Kerrien with them. He's liable to kill both of them as I have now killed two of his siblings.

Dorian ushers Maya outside. I follow behind them swiftly, bypassing them to reach Kinley's and Kalista's side.

"Get in the car," I order Kinley after opening the door before the Shadow driver can get out of the limo I called to pick us up.