*Chapter Eighteen*

At around one in the morning, I make my way to Maya's room. She and Kinley have spent all evening in there getting Maya settled in. They both even ate their dinners in there. I've checked on them a few times, electing to stay outside the room as I listened to them chat. Mostly listening to Maya gush about Dorian and how she is excited about being our house meirru.

I knock and open the door at the same time. I've given Kinley plenty of time to be with her friend. It's bedtime.

Kinley needs rest whether she wants to admit it or not. I can tell her body is still sluggish from her episode when she first got here yesterday. The constant stress and fear of being here are taking their toll on her. Adding Maya into the mix has only worsened her anxiety. In time, she will adjust as well as any human could to being my captive.

"Oh. Hey, Tristan!" Maya waves at me, not bothering to get up as she is sprawled out on her belly on her new bed.

Kinley's shoulders stiffen. She can feel my gaze locked on her, yet she doesn't turn to face me.

"Is Dorian with you?" Maya peeks around me, hoping the vampire who woke her sensual desires is right behind me. If she only knew the only desire Dorian has for her is her blood sliding down his throat, I think she would feel differently.

"He and the others have gone out." I step into the room.

"Aw, man, really? We should have gone with them. I love to party." Maya flips over onto her back huffing. "It would have been more fun than Miss Doom and Gloom over here. You'd think my bestie would be ecstatic that we get to live together again. She acts like we are living with the Antichrist the way she talks about you. You're not really the Antichrist, are you?" Maya rolls back over onto her belly.

"It depends on my mood." I grab onto the tops of Kinley's shoulders and squeeze them.

Kinley winces, not because of the pressure but simply because the "Antichrist" she fears is touching her.

Maya laughs at my reply. "You are hot enough to be the Antichrist. I picture him being made from the hottest flames that burn in hell and you certainly foot that bill, don't you Tristan Darkos?" Maya's eyes light up with glee.

"I foot many bills according to Kinley." I flash a brilliant, yet deviant smile. "It's time for bed," I whisper in Kinley's ear, the natural husk of my voice causing Kinley to shudder for there is always a hint of evil detectable in my tone.

"You said you don't like a human sharing your room so I can stay here. This bed is plenty big for Maya and me to share."

"Oh, totally. She can stay here. It'd be like the never-ending slumber party we had freshman year that one summer."

"Kinley will be staying with me. I can't have her all the way on the other side of the house where she will probably try to stake the others with whatever she can get her hands on to. For their safety, I will keep her with me." This time, I squeeze Kinley's shoulders harder, my message to her that I am done with her stalling tactics.

"You said the others are out? When will they be back?" Kinley finally twists her body to face me.

"Not for another seven hours," I lie. They will probably be back within the next three hours or so. However, my lie will make it easier for Kinley to feel Maya is safe if she leaves her.

Kinley heaves a heavy sigh. "Okay. Good night, Maya. If you need anything, you know where I will be." Kinley stands up, her body tensed with impending dread.

"Sweet dreams, Maya." I place my hand on Kinley's back and guide her unwilling-to-move feet out of Maya's room. "She'll be fine," I say as Kinley's head twists over her shoulder as she looks back at Maya's bedroom door.