*Prologue*

*Please note: This is a fictitious story. The thoughts, beliefs, and general premises bears no semblance to the author's personal beliefs. Please take this story for what it is—a made up story of what it would be like IF vampires existed, why they came into existence ,and can a human actually fall in love with a monster.
*PA announcement over*

Three years ago...

An angelic face stares into my soul, hungry to take it. I've never seen such a handsome face, but the beauty is lost as this same face is stained with the blood of my parents.

"I've been waiting for you," the man coos at me, his dark, ominous gaze fixed on me. Something about his eyes is otherworldly. Haunting and demonic almost. He resembles a man, but how could a man do such a thing?

"Me?" The rasp in my voice falters. The stench of death permeates the air the way it did when a rat died in the attic right by my bedroom air vent last summer. This time, the intensity of the smell leaves me choking. I can almost taste the rot, foul and metallic.

"Yes, I've been watching you for some time. It looks like I finally got you alone." A sinister smile creeps onto his face, brandishing me a view of pointed teeth. His canines and first premolar sharpened like a carnivorous animal with fangs.

This is no man that stands before me. It's a monster, a demon, a creature from hell.

Water gathers along my lower lashes, spilling over. My parents' lifeless bodies are lying in crimson puddles. Their throats ripped open while their cracked-opened ribs expose their insides as if their hearts exploded from their chests. Faintness sweeps through me when I realize that the heaps of flesh on the floor next to my parents are the remains of their torn-out hearts.

From the amount of blood in their room, I know my parents fought until their last breath was torn from them at the hands of a monster that shows no remorse. The evil glint in his eyes as I look back and forth between him and my butchered loved ones speaks of the joy he derived from ending their lives.

I'm standing in the presence of pure malevolence.

Oxygen comes in strangled gasps I force down. My lungs caught in tremors the rest of me already lost the fight too.

An animalistic growl vibrates in the back of the demon's throat, the sound gouging its way into the marrow of my bones.

"Stay away. Get back! Stay away from me!" I scream as the demon takes a step toward me.

He laughs deep and throaty, my fear amusing to him.

"Aw, come now. I mean no harm. I just want what is owed to me." His words roll off him like a velvet cloak embedded with thorns and shards of glass. He wets his scarlet-stained lips with his tongue as he looks me up and down.

It isn't a look of admiration of my slender build. It's dissecting, pausing at all the places he yearns to bring to the surface. The lack of a weapon, the deep red dried from his hand all the way to his elbow. Even in the dim light, this demon cannot hide.

His physique resembles a mythological god sent from Hades, all harsh angles carved from stone with veins jutting out from underneath translucent skin. But that arm, that arm covered just like his face. It's an instrument of death and pain.

I try to get the words out to ask him what it is he thinks my family owes him, but none come. They are trapped within my shaking body, my muscles and bones having turned into gelatin that has no ramekin to help shape them.

In an instant, my quivering legs are no longer struggling to stand on their own, for the monster has me in his powerful grip. His sculpted torso presses against my back, keeping me upright.