Chapter Fourteen

Asher's POV
The next day at school, I stayed well enough away from Kol and Rebekah, not wanting to deal with what they would say about the kiss. I had been staying as far away from them as I could since the party incident two weeks ago and I knew eventually they would try to get me to talk to them.

But I never expected them to corner me in the locker room before cross country. Which is what they did today.

So now I was standing with my back against the wall of lockers, Kol and Rebekah blocking my escape. I stared up at them, my eyes not giving anything away.

"What do you guys want?" I demanded harshly.

"Why have you been avoiding us?" Kol demanded just as harshly.

"Is it because of Nik?" Rebekah asked softly.

I narrowed my eyes at them but my response remained cool. "No. It has nothing to do with him. But I do have to get to my cross country class, if you wouldn't mind."

I shoved past them and outside, crossing the field and moving to stand beside Liam and Mason. The class was preparing to leave and go through the woods following the trail so I came out just in time.

"Start running! And stay on the trail!" Coach Finstock ordered.

As we started running through the woods, Liam and Isaac thought that it would be a good idea to race each other and they shot past Finstock and everyone else, causing Coach to yell a lot of obscenities at the pair as they continued to sprint way ahead of us.

I glanced at Stiles, Jackson and Scott and tilted my head slightly. They nodded and we started to push ourselves ahead just like Liam and Isaac, only Stiles and I were slower since we didn't have werewolf speed.

However as I was running, I began to get a sinking feeling that something bad was about to happen. And only moments after I got such a feeling did it happen. Coach stepped on a trip wire and I saw what was happening before it did. I was in front of him, shoving him aside as the arrow shot past but that wasn't the only trap.

I kept running and I saw a small drop that I knew I had to take if I was going to dodge the two arrows flying at me from the side. So I ran straight into a flip that I learned in karate and rolled back to my feet before I continued to run, hearing Stiles and Finstock shouting at me to come back.

 So I ran straight into a flip that I learned in karate and rolled back to my feet before I continued to run, hearing Stiles and Finstock shouting at me to come back

But I kept going, ignoring their calls. I needed to warn Scott and the others that there was a hunter out here at this very moment. I kept running, picking up speed and my legs pumping as fast as they could. I used the tracking skill that Allison had taught me to find the four pack members that were already locked in a battle farther up the trail.

The minute I reached them was the moment I realized that it wasn't just a hunter. In fact, it wasn't a hunter at all. It was something else. Something that definitely wasn't human and had no idea what it was doing.