Captive of the Wild Part 5 Understanding the Rules

Chapter Five: Understanding the rules

Ratchet's lips curl up over denta in a sneer. Not because Soundwave is wrong, but rather, the opposite. He's aware of the dangers in the Rust Plains. And that just makes him angrier, honestly, because his 'plan' hadn't been much of one at all. An idea, really, one fueled by desperation and circumstance. He'd thought he had a good opportunity to escape and so he'd taken it without much actual thought at all.

Just because deep in his spark he knew Soundwave was right, though, didn't mean he'd choose to believe it. There was a chance that, as a medic, they'd be willing to...overlook some things. Especially since he really hadn't been bitten. And if he was attacked? Well, he could just as easily kill himself to prevent himself becoming a terrorcon. He didn't want to die, but he was old. And did he really want to spend the rest of his life here, surrounded by bots that forced themselves on mechs and saw it as normal? What else did they do, bleed mechs?

Before he can shoot off an acerbic comment though, he too hears the noise of the other villagers and straightens his stance, looking about ready to bolt. Of course, with Starscream there, the flier could very easily run him down--

Breakdown is carrying a crying Tracks, the bitlet upset by the anger and hurt radiating along both his sire and carrier's bond. The big navy mech is shushing and bouncing the sparkling, but it likely isn't helping that he's also glaring daggers at the medic as well. "You're practically stealing fuel right from our bitlets mouth!" He snaps.

"Funny, since you seem to like stealing mechs straight from their friends and family!" Ratchet spits back, not backing down despite the various intimidating looking mechs ready to beat down on him for the affront.

The argument is cut short, however, by Soundwave's declaration. Ratchet doesn't understand, of course, the meaning of the others proclamation, but there are several gasps from the assembled mechs. "But, you don't even know the mech!" Breakdown protests, "That's supposed to be for like, mates or sparklings--"

"If Soundwave wants to take the citylings punishment, then let him," Starscream sneers, his own bitlet back at the tent recovering from the surgery still. He's in his crib though and should be fine for the short while they are away. He doesn't particularly like Soundwave. His and Megatron's bonding had been strictly for their alliance, nothing more. Yet the seeker found himself jealous anyway of the easy friendship Megatron and the freak seemed to have. So, it would only serve to delight Starscream in being able to lash out in some way. "It's his choice."

He flicks his claws over to the slim blue mech, then to Megatron, "Dearest mate, why don't you do the honors of punishing the mech, hm? 30 lashes with the whip is the minimum, isn't it?"

Ratchet splutters as he hears this. "Or you could just let me go- if I die in the wastes surely that's not your problem?"

"Tch, and risk one more terrorcon in the world? No dear medic. If you want to die, we'll gladly put the hole through your helm ourselves."

Ratchet's jaw snaps shut at that, and instead casts Soundwave a bemused look.

"Enough Starscream!" Megatron finally say, his tone calm and his voice even, even if slightly bemused. "Soundwave... you do know the consequences of such an action. Are you ready to accept the full ramifications of your choice?"

His questions gather more expectant, shocked and eager looks from the assembled Tribesmechs and their optics shifts between Soundwave, Megatron and Starscream. There a pregnant pause as Soundwave seems to think, but he doesn't move and neither does he change his stance. He still holds himself tall in front of the bemused Autobot and nods once. His whole demeanor shows clearly that he does not intend to move or retract his words. It really shocks most of the mechs presents, and when he speaks once more, answering his Leader, he reinforces the feeling that he is much serious.