Chapter 8 - Silver Chains

Start from the beginning

But that didn't change the fact that I was upset. I knew this ceremony was all about pack tradition, but I hadn't expected it to go like this. I knew Dean would mark me at some point in our relationship, but I always imagined it happening differently. I pictured it happening when we were closer, and under more intimate circumstances.

My entire pack had just witnessed a very personal moment for me. One that I hadn't anticipated happening so soon, but much less with an audience.

Tears slowly formed in my eyes, but I fought to keep them from spilling. I wouldn't cry in front of my pack. I couldn't. My head was pounding from the conflict inside. My wolf was ecstatic – completely over the moon. We were the Luna of our pack now, and our mate had publicly claimed us. She saw no wrong in that. She was proud.

I, on the other hand, wanted to curl up with Dean and run far away from him at the same time. Our bond was much stronger now, and I could feel the physical connection that would allow us to mind-link one another. The strength of our bond made me want to love him and ravish him, but my normal, anxious nature mixed with the fact that I was upset with him, made me want to go far away and hide.

"Dark Root meet your Luna, Audrey Whittaker!" Dean announced loudly, causing his deep voice to boom around us once again.

I forgot that I'd be taking his last name as well, but that was currently the least of my concerns.

Panic built in my stomach as I began to worry about what else was expected of me tonight. Were Dean and I supposed to complete the mating process tonight? What exactly had I agreed to in those vows?

Before there was enough time for the full-blown panic attack to set in, Dean did something else that took me completely by surprise.

"Before you all have a proper meet and greet with your Luna, there are some more serious matters that need to be taken care of," Dean told the pack.

"Drake Allen, you are under arrest for crimes committed against your Luna. Submit before our guards, now. You will be taken to the dungeons while you await your trial."

I froze. My entire body froze to the point that it felt like my heart stopped beating. The crowd was dead silent. All that could be heard was the hard footsteps of the guards searching the audience for my father.

Dean was arresting my father.

Finally, able to react, I spun around and faced Dean with a look of sheer panic written across my face. Before I had the chance to speak, Dean grabbed me and pulled me against his chest, burying my face into him.

"He won't hurt you ever again, Audrey," he said, only loud enough for me to hear.

This time, the tears fell. It was too much. This was all too much. It was true that I had lived a miserable life before meeting Dean, and my father did deserve to answer for his actions, but this was Dark Root. The consequences of crimes were very serious, especially if the crime was against the Alpha or Luna.

He was still my father. He may have shown me nothing but abuse and hatred after my mother passed away, but he was my father. Deep in my heart, I still loved him. I didn't want anything to happen to him.

"Please don't hurt him," I whimpered to Dean, struggling to contain my sobs.

This time, it was Dean who froze.

He moved his arms to my shoulders and held me back from him a few inches so that he could look me in the eyes. I stared up at him with tears running down my face, and he simply stared back, looking confused.

That was when I remembered the full effect of a mate's mark. Not only did it give you the ability to mind-link one another, but it also gave you the ability to share thoughts and emotions with one another.