Chapter Twenty

David's POV- Part 2

My vision was a little off balance since I had the surgery. I had an eye patch over my left eye. When I walked through the chapel , I noticed a stained glass window. It was of Jesus and the little children. I sat down in of the pews and I started to think about my life so far. I decided to pray but I wasn't sure if anybody up there would hear me. While I was praying, I felt a peace come over me and I felt different. As I was getting ready to leave the chapel, I saw a young nurse with strawberry blonde looking around for someone. I decided to see if I could help her. Before I could say anything, she asked me " Are you David Fox? Dr. Andrews has been looking for you." I got up from the pew and I headed back to my room. Dr. Andrews was a tall older man around six feet tall who had brown hair and wavy silvery hair. " Your surgery went well and you should be able to go home in a few days." After he left the room, I sat in my bed and I started thinking about my life so far and how much time I had wasted so far with things that were wrong and how much time I spent hating people who were different than me instead of loving everyone that I came in contact with. That night on August 19, 1966, David decided to make a change in his life. A few weeks later he was at the public library and he saw a familiar face. It was the nurse with the strawberry blonde hair. She was sitting a table reading "Gone With The Wind". He decided to sit down at the table with her. " That must be an interesting book you are reading". The young woman looked up for a few seconds and went back to reading her book. David decided to try talking her again. "So what do you think about Scarlett O'Hara?" This time the young woman looked up at the man who was talking to her. " I think Scarlett is a spoiled young woman who was used to everyone loving her and she used her looks to get men to what she wanted them to do." David chuckled. " I have to agree. I liked Melanie much better. So what is your name? I never got it while I was at the hospital." Sharon thought to herself for a few minutes and then she said. " My name is Sharon Bernstein. And your name is David Fox." David continued to talk to her until a librarian shushed him. Sharon started to giggle and they decided to keep on talking for a while. "Hey would like to go and get a milkshake with me? I know a place that makes a great malted milkshake." Sharon decided to go with him and they went to Holden's Ice Cream Parlor. Whole they were sitting in a booth, David saw Harold Kincaid a former friend of his and he became very nervous. Harold was a leader in the KKK. David hoped that Harold wouldn't notice him, but Harold did notice him. Sharon had gotten up from the booth to use the bathroom. While she was gone Harold slid into the booth and starting talk to David. " You haven't been to meetings in awhile, what's going on?" David looked at Harold and he decided to tell him why he hadn't been attending. He hoped his friend would understand where David was coming from.